FrontPage 2003 installer runs when launching other Office 2003 pro

Dear helpers:

To save space on my internal hard drive, I installed FrontPage 2003 on an
external HD which I turn off when not needed. But that seems to create HUGE
problems whenever I try to launch any other Office2003 application while the
external drive is turned off.

For example, if the external disk is off and I launch Excel2003, a new
window pops up, entitled “Microsoft FrontPage 2003†containing a msg saying
“Please wait while Windows configures FrontPage 2003â€. Apparently, this
window is part of a FrontPage 2003 installer.

After the progress bar reaches the end, the window goes away, temporarily,
only to come right back and start all over again. Sometimes this goes on for
15 minutes or more.

Meanwhile, as long as that window remains active, I cannot easily launch any
other Office2003 application and if I AM able to launch one, it runs slowly
and mis-behaves.

I have tried clicking the cancel button, but that does not help. The window
keeps coming back. So far, the only thing that seems to help is to turn on
the external drive where FrontPage 2003 is stored.

I am running WinXP H.E. and Office2003 Professional and I have installed all
available updates.

Please tell me how to avoid launching the FrontPage 2003 installer when
launching another Office2003 program (such as Excel) while FrontPage is not
open and my external drive (where FrontPage is stored) is turned off.

Paul S. Natanson (e-mail address removed) 1-908-630-0406 3-29-06

or paul628 at concentric dot net)

Steve Easton

You've pretty much answered your own question.

Don't turn off the drive.

When any part of office is launched the system verifies the integrity of the
installed applications.
Since it can't find FrontPage it assumes it is corrupt and automatically
tries to repair it.

There's a way to defeat it by editing the registry, but it will also kill
the ability of FrontPage to run it's Detect and Repair function.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve: Thank you for your quick reply to my note below. And thank goodness
for MVP's like you.

Your answer is EXACTLY what I expected and EXACTLY what I feared. It seems
that this is an instance where Microsoft messed up. I guess that what you
are telling me is that there is no easy solution except to uninstall
FrontPage from my external drive and re-install it on my main drive. Correct?

Is there a better way to do that than by uninstalling and reinstalling? Is
there a way to MOVE it directly?

If I uninstall and re-install it, will I have difficulty re-activating it?
Does Microsoft allow only a limitted number of activations of which I will be
sacrificing one by doing it that way?

Paul S. Natanson (e-mail address removed) 1-908-630-0406 3-29-06
or paul628 at concentric dot net)

Steve Easton

In-line

Paul628 said:
Steve: Thank you for your quick reply to my note below. And thank
goodness
for MVP's like you.

Thanks for the kind words.
Your answer is EXACTLY what I expected and EXACTLY what I feared. It
seems
that this is an instance where Microsoft messed up.

Actually not Paul, it's more for system integrity and security purposes than
anything else.

I guess that what you
are telling me is that there is no easy solution except to uninstall
FrontPage from my external drive and re-install it on my main drive.
Correct?

That would be the easiest and overall best solution.
Is there a better way to do that than by uninstalling and reinstalling?
Is
there a way to MOVE it directly?

Unfortunately you will have to uninstall and reinstall.
If I uninstall and re-install it, will I have difficulty re-activating it?
Does Microsoft allow only a limitted number of activations of which I will
be
sacrificing one by doing it that way?

Select the activate by phone option and you should have no problem.
Just tell them what you did and why.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why do you feel the need to shut off the
external drive??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve: I think that you are being too defensive of Microsoft. As a minimum,
when I selected a drive other than my C drive for the installation of
FrontPage2003, Microsoft should have given me a clear warning that if the
drive was removed or not turned on, then my FrontPage installation would
interfere with my OTHER Office programs.

I use my external drive mostly for storing data, not programs. Therefore,
one reason for turning it off might be to move it to a different computer.

But, instead of asking me why I turn it off, a better question would be “Why
turn it on?â€. I bot that drive primarily to store videos, photos, and other
large files which I rarely use. The only time I turn that drive on is when I
want to use those files. And that is only about once every month or two. I
see no reason to leave the drive on continuously when it is needed only once
or twice a month. Agree?

On a related matter, I continue to be frustrated an annoyed by the
difficulty that an ordinary person like me has in reaching a real live person
at Microsoft. It seems that the only people who are allowed to talk (for
free) to a real live person at MS are developers. And that seems to be only
because MS has something to gain by supporting them. But I am so grateful
that there are MVP’s like you who give so selfishly of your own time (without
much reward or thanks) to help people like me, thus doing a job that
Microsoft should be doing themselves. Frankly, I don’t think that that MS
should need that kind of charity. Whatever perks they give you, it is not
enough.

But I also believe that instead of doing this for the perks, you are more
motivated by a real desire to help and to be recognized for that kindness.
Well, this customer certainly recognizes that. You really are a MVP. Thank
you.

PS: Somehow, I must have created an auto-signature that automatically signs
my name as Paul628 and I can’t figure out how to change that auto-signature.

Paul

Steve: I few minutes ago I posted a reply to your recent note. But my reply
contained an embarrassing error. I used the word "selfishly" when I really
meant "UN-selfishly". Please forgive me. you are certainly NOT selfish.
You are just the opposite. The world needs more people like you. Paul

Stefan B Rusynko

Every MSO product includes the common shared office components
- they need to be installed in sequence of builds
- and on a drive that is always available if shared
Or when using different versions of MSO products (not supported by MS)
- do not install the common office shared features - do a custom install
Run a reinstall of your MSO product that is having problems and make sure it is installed on a drive that is always available

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

Paul628 said:
Steve: I think that you are being too defensive of Microsoft. As a minimum,
when I selected a drive other than my C drive for the installation of
FrontPage2003, Microsoft should have given me a clear warning that if the
drive was removed or not turned on, then my FrontPage installation would
interfere with my OTHER Office programs.

I must admit you have a unique situation.
As for being too defensive of MSFT, believe me when I say MVPs in general give MSFT a lot of
grief.
Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.

I use my external drive mostly for storing data, not programs. Therefore,
one reason for turning it off might be to move it to a different computer.

But, instead of asking me why I turn it off, a better question would be "Why
turn it on?". I bot that drive primarily to store videos, photos, and other
large files which I rarely use. The only time I turn that drive on is when I
want to use those files. And that is only about once every month or two. I
see no reason to leave the drive on continuously when it is needed only once
or twice a month. Agree?

For what you are using it for yes sort of. ;-)

I have dual drives with multiple partitions and multiple OS in my main machine, but there
both internal.

I don't know the connection type and connection speed of your set up, but have you
considered:
Moving the paging file to the second drive, it gives quite a performance boost.
And also moving the browser cache and mail store to the second drive.
It also provides another performance boost.

Example: 2K on drive C ( first drive ) uses drive D ( second drive partition one ) for
paging, cache and mail store.
XP on drive one partition 2, uses drive 2 partition 2 for paging, and cache but shares
the mail store
on D2 P1 which is used by both 2K and XP

However it would require the drive to always be on when the machine is booted.

On a related matter, I continue to be frustrated an annoyed by the
difficulty that an ordinary person like me has in reaching a real live person
at Microsoft. It seems that the only people who are allowed to talk (for
free) to a real live person at MS are developers. And that seems to be only
because MS has something to gain by supporting them.

That actually comes at quite a cost to the developers, as they
usually have an MSDN subscription, which costs several thousand $$ a year.
Phone support is part of the package.

But I am so grateful
that there are MVP's like you who give so selfishly of your own time (without
much reward or thanks) to help people like me, thus doing a job that
Microsoft should be doing themselves. Frankly, I don't think that that MS
should need that kind of charity. Whatever perks they give you, it is not
enough.

There are some unique perks which I not free to discuss, but regardless of the perks
it's the occasional "Thank you" from people such as your self that make it all worth while.
But I also believe that instead of doing this for the perks, you are more
motivated by a real desire to help and to be recognized for that kindness.

You're correct.
Well, this customer certainly recognizes that. You really are a MVP. Thank
you.

Once again thanks for the kind words.
PS: Somehow, I must have created an auto-signature that automatically signs
my name as Paul628 and I can't figure out how to change that auto-signature.

Outlook Express, Tools > Accounts, click the News tab, click the news server account, in
this case news.microsoft.com
and then click properties.
On the General tab under "User Information," change the Name: to what you want it to be

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve Easton