FrontPage 2002 Navigation Problem

I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created using
Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my local
machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time, it
asked me the following:

[] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web

[] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web

[] Let FrontPage merge the changes

Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about navigational
structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when my new
page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all messed
up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used for
hyperlinks.

How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server for
now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I made? Did
this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc when I
published?

I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to restore
the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help me
asap!!!

Thank you

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine the correct choice would have been to Replace.

If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if you can.

I did Merge once...never again !

hth

| I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created using
| Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my local
| machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time, it
| asked me the following:
|
| [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
|
| [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
|
| [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
|
| Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about navigational
| structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when my new
| page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all messed
| up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used for
| hyperlinks.
|
| How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server for
| now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I made? Did
| this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc when I
| published?
|
| I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to restore
| the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help me
| asap!!!
|
| Thank you

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

You may want to do Recalculate Hyperlinks too.

| I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created using
| Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my local
| machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time, it
| asked me the following:
|
| [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
|
| [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
|
| [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
|
| Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about navigational
| structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when my new
| page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all messed
| up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used for
| hyperlinks.
|
| How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server for
| now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I made? Did
| this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc when I
| published?
|
| I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to restore
| the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help me
| asap!!!
|
| Thank you

Rob,

How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You mention
about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only way I
know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
appreciated!!!

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to C://xxxx

Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)

Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
First try a Publish the way you normally do.
If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination navigation.

When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.

If not...
Close your local copy and open your site live.
File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
this may take a while
Close Web
Check it with your browser

If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)

Rob

| Rob,
|
| How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You mention
| about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only way I
| know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
|
| Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| appreciated!!!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine the correct choice would have been to Replace.
| >
| > If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if you can.
| >
| > I did Merge once...never again !
| >
| > hth
| >

| > | I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created using
| > | Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my local
| > | machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time, it
| > | asked me the following:
| > |
| > | [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
| > |
| > | [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
| > |
| > | [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
| > |
| > | Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| > | changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about navigational
| > | structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when my new
| > | page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all messed
| > | up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used for
| > | hyperlinks.
| > |
| > | How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server for
| > | now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I made? Did
| > | this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc when I
| > | published?
| > |
| > | I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to restore
| > | the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help me
| > | asap!!!
| > |
| > | Thank you

Ronx

Don't you mean "If prompted for the Merge thing...FORCE... it to overwrite
destination navigation".
Don't let it MERGE the navigation.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do
they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is
only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It
shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to
C://xxxx

Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)

Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
First try a Publish the way you normally do.
If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination
navigation.

When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.

If not...
Close your local copy and open your site live.
File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
this may take a while
Close Web
Check it with your browser

If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)

Rob

| Rob,
|
| How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You
mention
| about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only
way I
| know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
|
| Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| appreciated!!!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine
the correct choice would have been to Replace.

| > If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via
http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if
you can.

| > I did Merge once...never again !
| >
| > hth
| >

| > | I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created
using
| > | Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my
local
| > | machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time,
it
| > | asked me the following:
| > |
| > | [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
| > |
| > | [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
| > |
| > | [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
| > |
| > | Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| > | changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about
navigational
| > | structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when
my new
| > | page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all
messed
| > | up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used
for
| > | hyperlinks.
| > |
| > | How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server
for
| > | now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I
made? Did
| > | this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc
when I
| > | published?
| > |
| > | I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to
restore
| > | the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help
me
| > | asap!!!
| > |
| > | Thank you

Rob,

I did check the website on my local machine. All looks fine. I previewed in
the browser, again all looks fine. I did the recalculate links thing. No
better. Open the site live, did the recalculate links thing, still no better.

The wierd thing is...if I open the site live, when I try to modify the pics
and links that are messed up, Frontpage wants pull the pages and pictures
from folders on my local pc, instead of the folders on the web server. If I
redo the pics and links and tell FrontPage to pull the data from the website
folders on the host's server, then the new links and pictures look fine.

Would the merging have caused this? The bad problem is, is that I can only
make the changes to the site in FrontPage while live! Unless you have other
suggestions. Is there some navigation file on the host server that I could
blow away that would be re-written when I publish? Everytime I try to publish
my new site, it never asks me again about merging or not, it just starts
uploading the pages to the server.

It's about 2:10pm EST where I'm at. I won't be back until about 10:30pm EST
tonight. I'll check back then for other suggestions you might have. I don't
know how htese chats are usually done, but this sure would be a whole lot
easier if we could just talk on the phone. If that's possible, I'd be more
than happy to give you a toll free number to reach me.

Thanks for your help, and Ronx's help so far...I'm hoping I can fix this
without having to redo the site again!

Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®) said:
Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to C://xxxx

Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)

Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
First try a Publish the way you normally do.
If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination navigation.

When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.

If not...
Close your local copy and open your site live.
File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
this may take a while
Close Web
Check it with your browser

If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)

Rob

| Rob,
|
| How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You mention
| about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only way I
| know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
|
| Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| appreciated!!!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine the correct choice would have been to Replace.
| >
| > If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if you can.
| >
| > I did Merge once...never again !
| >
| > hth
| >

| > | I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created using
| > | Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my local
| > | machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time, it
| > | asked me the following:
| > |
| > | [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
| > |
| > | [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
| > |
| > | [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
| > |
| > | Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| > | changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about navigational
| > | structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when my new
| > | page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all messed
| > | up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used for
| > | hyperlinks.
| > |
| > | How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server for
| > | now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I made? Did
| > | this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc when I
| > | published?
| > |
| > | I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to restore
| > | the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help me
| > | asap!!!
| > |
| > | Thank you

Ronx

I read this again,

"If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination
navigation."

and it is right. I applied DONT to the wrong phrase first time round.

--
Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do
they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is
only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It
shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to
C://xxxx

Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)

Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
First try a Publish the way you normally do.
If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination
navigation.

When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.

If not...
Close your local copy and open your site live.
File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
this may take a while
Close Web
Check it with your browser

If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)

Rob

| Rob,
|
| How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You
mention
| about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only
way I
| know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
|
| Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| appreciated!!!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine
the correct choice would have been to Replace.

| > If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via
http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if
you can.

| > I did Merge once...never again !
| >
| > hth
| >

| > | I have an exisiting website for my retail business that was created
using
| > | Frontpage 2002. Over the past month I created a new website on my
local
| > | machine. When I went to publish it to my host's server the first time,
it
| > | asked me the following:
| > |
| > | [] Do not replace the navigational structure of the Destination Web
| > |
| > | [] Replace the Navigational Structure of the destination web
| > |
| > | [] Let FrontPage merge the changes
| > |
| > | Because I wasn't sure what to do, I chose to let Frontpage merge the
| > | changes. Probably my first mistake. I don't know anything about
navigational
| > | structure. I just create pages, and hyperlinks..ya know? Anyway, when
my new
| > | page was finished publishing, I viewed it using IE6. My pages are all
messed
| > | up! Some of my links are gone, some of my pictures too which were used
for
| > | hyperlinks.
| > |
| > | How can I fix this? I published my old site back to the host's server
for
| > | now until this is adressed. Can I undo what I did by the choice I
made? Did
| > | this navigational thing affect the website files stored on my local pc
when I
| > | published?
| > |
| > | I've spent alot of time creating this new site, and would like to
restore
| > | the functionality it had when I was creating it. Somebody please help
me
| > | asap!!!
| > |
| > | Thank you

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

poorly worded...due to my overuse of ellipsisiiii

| Don't you mean "If prompted for the Merge thing...FORCE... it to overwrite
| destination navigation".
| Don't let it MERGE the navigation.
|
| --
| Ron Symonds (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do
| they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is
| only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It
| shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to
| C://xxxx
|
| Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)
|
| Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
| First try a Publish the way you normally do.
| If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination
| navigation.
|
| When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.
|
| If not...
| Close your local copy and open your site live.
| File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
| Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
| this may take a while
| Close Web
| Check it with your browser
|
| If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)
|
| Rob
|

| | | Rob,
| |
| | How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| | published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You
| mention
| | about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only
| way I
| | know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| | mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
| |
| | Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| | appreciated!!!
| |
| |
| |
| | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
| |
| | > Don't click Merge. If the Navigation was correct on your local machine
| the correct choice would have been to Replace.
| | >
| | > If your Local copy is correct, hopefully it is, just Re-Publish it via
| http:// method. I'd do a full Publish overwriting the destination files if
| you can.
| | >
| | > I did Merge once...never again !
| | >
| | > hth

| using
| local
| it
| | > |
| | > |
| navigational
| my new
| messed
| for
| | > |
| for
| made? Did
| when I
| | > |
| restore
| me
| | > |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Yes Merging would have done this - the merging is what blew away your navs.

Re-Publish from local machine to your online server. In Publish Options set it to overwrite (I forget the exact wording of the choices..they're slightly obtuse anyway.)

Phone? I'm a phonophobe...sorry :-(

| Rob,
|
| I did check the website on my local machine. All looks fine. I previewed in
| the browser, again all looks fine. I did the recalculate links thing. No
| better. Open the site live, did the recalculate links thing, still no better.
|
| The wierd thing is...if I open the site live, when I try to modify the pics
| and links that are messed up, Frontpage wants pull the pages and pictures
| from folders on my local pc, instead of the folders on the web server. If I
| redo the pics and links and tell FrontPage to pull the data from the website
| folders on the host's server, then the new links and pictures look fine.
|
| Would the merging have caused this? The bad problem is, is that I can only
| make the changes to the site in FrontPage while live! Unless you have other
| suggestions. Is there some navigation file on the host server that I could
| blow away that would be re-written when I publish? Everytime I try to publish
| my new site, it never asks me again about merging or not, it just starts
| uploading the pages to the server.
|
| It's about 2:10pm EST where I'm at. I won't be back until about 10:30pm EST
| tonight. I'll check back then for other suggestions you might have. I don't
| know how htese chats are usually done, but this sure would be a whole lot
| easier if we could just talk on the phone. If that's possible, I'd be more
| than happy to give you a toll free number to reach me.
|
| Thanks for your help, and Ronx's help so far...I'm hoping I can fix this
| without having to redo the site again!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to C://xxxx
| >
| > Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)
| >
| > Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
| > First try a Publish the way you normally do.
| > If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination navigation.
| >
| > When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.
| >
| > If not...
| > Close your local copy and open your site live.
| > File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
| > Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
| > this may take a while
| > Close Web
| > Check it with your browser
| >
| > If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)
| >
| > Rob
| >

| > | Rob,
| > |
| > | How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| > | published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You mention
| > | about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only way I
| > | know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| > | mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
| > |
| > | Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| > | appreciated!!!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

Rob,

Thanx for getting back to me. It seems the only way I can fix the problem is
to fix the links and pictures while editing the site live. If I edit it live,
and then publish it back to my local pc, the changes stay. If I edit on my
local pc and then upload it to the host server, the changes don't stay.
So...the down side is that I have to have a "defective" site online while I
make my changes. Guess I'll have to make the changes when I consider traffic
to be low. Don't know what else to do. I just hope that when I need to add
more links, that I can make the changes to my local machine and upload them
after I get all these navigational errors resolved. Thanx again for all your
help.

Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®) said:
Yes Merging would have done this - the merging is what blew away your navs.

Re-Publish from local machine to your online server. In Publish Options set it to overwrite (I forget the exact wording of the choices..they're slightly obtuse anyway.)

Phone? I'm a phonophobe...sorry :-(

| Rob,
|
| I did check the website on my local machine. All looks fine. I previewed in
| the browser, again all looks fine. I did the recalculate links thing. No
| better. Open the site live, did the recalculate links thing, still no better.
|
| The wierd thing is...if I open the site live, when I try to modify the pics
| and links that are messed up, Frontpage wants pull the pages and pictures
| from folders on my local pc, instead of the folders on the web server. If I
| redo the pics and links and tell FrontPage to pull the data from the website
| folders on the host's server, then the new links and pictures look fine.
|
| Would the merging have caused this? The bad problem is, is that I can only
| make the changes to the site in FrontPage while live! Unless you have other
| suggestions. Is there some navigation file on the host server that I could
| blow away that would be re-written when I publish? Everytime I try to publish
| my new site, it never asks me again about merging or not, it just starts
| uploading the pages to the server.
|
| It's about 2:10pm EST where I'm at. I won't be back until about 10:30pm EST
| tonight. I'll check back then for other suggestions you might have. I don't
| know how htese chats are usually done, but this sure would be a whole lot
| easier if we could just talk on the phone. If that's possible, I'd be more
| than happy to give you a toll free number to reach me.
|
| Thanks for your help, and Ronx's help so far...I'm hoping I can fix this
| without having to redo the site again!
|

| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Just open your Web on your local machine, check all the page navigation...do they look correct? Then File | Preview in Browser...do they work (this is only on you machine). If they do...then your local copy is good. It shouldn't have changed unless you Published from your server down to C://xxxx
| >
| > Then Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks (this only fixes local copy links)
| >
| > Then: File | Publish Web http://xxx
| > First try a Publish the way you normally do.
| > If prompted for the Merge thing...DONT...let it overwrite destination navigation.
| >
| > When done, view your online web, see if that fixes it.
| >
| > If not...
| > Close your local copy and open your site live.
| > File | Open Web then enter http:// (not your C://)
| > Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks
| > this may take a while
| > Close Web
| > Check it with your browser
| >
| > If still doesnt work...come back...I need coffee right now :)
| >
| > Rob
| >

| > | Rob,
| > |
| > | How can I tell if my local copy is correct? I know it was before I
| > | published. Could it have been changed during the publish process? You mention
| > | about publishing using the "http://" method. How do I do that? The only way I
| > | know to publish is through the Publish Web option in FrontPage. Also...you
| > | mentioned about Recalculating Hyperlinks...how do I do that?
| > |
| > | Thanks for getting back to me so soon, any help you can give is greatly
| > | appreciated!!!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Welp, I would have done it the other way 'round - deleted the pages on the server live, then re-Published from local to the server - because you said that the local copy was correct...but you *can't* do that now.

| Rob,
|
| Thanx for getting back to me. It seems the only way I can fix the problem is
| to fix the links and pictures while editing the site live. If I edit it live,
| and then publish it back to my local pc, the changes stay. If I edit on my
| local pc and then upload it to the host server, the changes don't stay.
| So...the down side is that I have to have a "defective" site online while I
| make my changes. Guess I'll have to make the changes when I consider traffic
| to be low. Don't know what else to do. I just hope that when I need to add
| more links, that I can make the changes to my local machine and upload them
| after I get all these navigational errors resolved. Thanx again for all your
| help.
|
| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
|
| > Yes Merging would have done this - the merging is what blew away your navs.
| >
| > Re-Publish from local machine to your online server. In Publish Options set it to overwrite (I forget the exact wording of the choices..they're slightly obtuse anyway.)
| >
| > Phone? I'm a phonophobe...sorry :-(
| >

| > | Rob,
| > |
| > | I did check the website on my local machine. All looks fine. I previewed in
| > | the browser, again all looks fine. I did the recalculate links thing. No
| > | better. Open the site live, did the recalculate links thing, still no better.
| > |
| > | The wierd thing is...if I open the site live, when I try to modify the pics
| > | and links that are messed up, Frontpage wants pull the pages and pictures
| > | from folders on my local pc, instead of the folders on the web server. If I
| > | redo the pics and links and tell FrontPage to pull the data from the website
| > | folders on the host's server, then the new links and pictures look fine.
| > |
| > | Would the merging have caused this? The bad problem is, is that I can only
| > | make the changes to the site in FrontPage while live! Unless you have other
| > | suggestions. Is there some navigation file on the host server that I could
| > | blow away that would be re-written when I publish? Everytime I try to publish
| > | my new site, it never asks me again about merging or not, it just starts
| > | uploading the pages to the server.
| > |
| > | It's about 2:10pm EST where I'm at. I won't be back until about 10:30pm EST
| > | tonight. I'll check back then for other suggestions you might have. I don't
| > | know how htese chats are usually done, but this sure would be a whole lot
| > | easier if we could just talk on the phone. If that's possible, I'd be more
| > | than happy to give you a toll free number to reach me.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your help, and Ronx's help so far...I'm hoping I can fix this
| > | without having to redo the site again!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" wrote:
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |