Frequent damage to system file HELP!

G

I have a problem where every now and then my computer crashes and i cant reboot due to damage (real or imagined) to system32\config\system

The computer runs fine and then without any warning the screen goes black, like there's no signal coming from the computer. the cpu fan still runs and the power light remains on but i cant get any response whatsoever. So i rest or turn the computer off.
Then upon reboot i get the error message saying my system file is corrupt. Thanks to Norton Ghost i can do a pretty quick recovery but this problem is really worrying me..

The crashes seem to ocur mostly when printing (i use an epson 900 with the printer drivers that came with it) But it has also happened while doing a virus scan (pc cillin, i did a complete scan after recovery and nothing was found) and during windows upgrade to service pack 1

Anyone familiar with this? Any clues are appreciated

Xp home editio
1.4 ghz via/am
2 hard disks with two partitions each, partitions made in partittionmagi
nvidia geforce fx5600 XT with whql certified drive
512 mb ra

D

dev

/victor norman/ said:
I have a problem where every now and then my computer crashes and i cant reboot due to damage (real or imagined) to system32\config\system.

The computer runs fine and then without any warning the screen goes black, like there's no signal coming from the computer. the cpu fan still runs and the power light remains on but i cant get any response whatsoever. So i rest or turn the computer off.
Then upon reboot i get the error message saying my system file is corrupt. Thanks to Norton Ghost i can do a pretty quick recovery but this problem is really worrying me...

The crashes seem to ocur mostly when printing (i use an epson 900 with the printer drivers that came with it) But it has also happened while doing a virus scan (pc cillin, i did a complete scan after recovery and nothing was found) and during windows upgrade to service pack 1.

Anyone familiar with this? Any clues are appreciated!

Swap out the current RAM chip/s (even if they test good) for a single,
high-quality 512 chip, and see if that helps. Did here, though it's not
the exclusive cause of the problem.

G

I will look into it, if this isn't the exclusive cause of the problem, then what IS

----- dev wrote: ----

/victor norman/ said
I have a problem where every now and then my computer crashes and i cant reboot due to damage (real or imagined) to system32\config\system
Then upon reboot i get the error message saying my system file is corrupt. Thanks to Norton Ghost i can do a pretty quick recovery but this problem is really worrying me..

Swap out the current RAM chip/s (even if they test good) for a single
high-quality 512 chip, and see if that helps. Did here, though it's no
the exclusive cause of the problem

Ask a Question