Freeware text to speech

Paul L

Hi,

I was just wondering whether a freeware "Text to Speech" program exists,
whereby you select text within for example a web page and then the program
reads
the text to you.

Thank you.

Mikey S.

Anyone tried

"SayzMe" ?

You (may) have to install 2 "extras" in proper order (depending on your OS)
and again: the order needs be respected.

The setup seems complicated at first glance but it's not.

True Freware and no restrictions whatsoever, no spyware, totally clean.

K3

Paul said:
Hi,

I was just wondering whether a freeware "Text to Speech" program
exists, whereby you select text within for example a web page and
then the program reads
the text to you.

Thank you.

Check out CFS-Technologies "Speakonia":
http://www.cfs-technologies.com/home/?id=1.4

"CFS-Technologies Speakonia is a FREE Text-To-Speech (TTS) GUI (graphical
User-Interface) Program which uses the Microsoft ® Speech Technology."

"The easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI) is similar to Notepad.
Speakonia reads aloud any given text with just one mouse click!
The reading can be paused, resumed and can be exported to a wave file. In
addition Speakonia is able to fetch webpages through an internal http
interface and read them aloud for you. You can even have your mails read to
you using the "Clipboard Reading" feature."

Operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows
XP
System requirements: 20MB-RAM, 200MHz, 2MB disk free space

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Steve H

Anyone tried

"SayzMe" ?

You (may) have to install 2 "extras" in proper order (depending on your OS)
and again: the order needs be respected.

The setup seems complicated at first glance but it's not.

True Freware and no restrictions whatsoever, no spyware, totally clean.

I tried lots of them when I was researching a dedicated TTS machine
built from an old laptop....SayzMe was the one I settled for. Doesn't
come with the TTS api, but, as you say, you can add this in.
Alternatively, install speakonia first ( which contains the api ).

Don Boring

Check out CFS-Technologies "Speakonia":
http://www.cfs-technologies.com/home/?id=1.4

I just installed SPEAKONIA and highly recommend
it. The choice of voices and the adjustments for
them are MUCH BETTER than the VOICE of the
Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I will use this often to have long manuscripts
read to me. I have found a voice - pitch - loudness
setting which is actually pretty acceptable to me for
understandability and ease of listening.

Don Boring
Glendora, CA USA

"May the forces of evil become confused on
the way to your house."
George Carlin

Michel Firholz

Paul L said:
Hi,

I was just wondering whether a freeware "Text to Speech" program exists,
whereby you select text within for example a web page and then the program
reads
the text to you.
I wonder whether any TTS program exists in other main languages: [spanish,
chinese, hindi], german, french...
TTSing these languages with english software is... hilarious in the best
case.

Susan Bugher

I wonder whether any TTS program exists in other main languages: [spanish,
chinese, hindi], german, french...
TTSing these languages with english software is... hilarious in the best
case.

I think most programs can use the various voices that are available.
Sayz Me:

Program: Sayz Me
Author: Cass Fishbourne
Ware: Donationware (open source: BSD)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sayzme/

has some info about downloading voices here:

http://www.datafurnace.net.au/sayzme/html/voices.html

<q>
Lernout & Hauspie TruVoice for Microsoft Agent

The following text-to-speech engines are licensed only for use in
Microsoft Agent enabled applications and Web pages with a visibly
displayed Microsoft Agent character. You may also need to install the
Agent Language Component for non english languages. Please visit the
Microsoft Agent download page
http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads/user.asp
for end-users website for further details.

* American English (1 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/tv_enua.exe

* British English (2.5 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttseng.exe

* Dutch (2.6 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsdun.exe

* French (2.2 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsfrf.exe

* German (2.2 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsged.exe

* Italian (2 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsiti.exe

* Japanese (3 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsjpj.exe

* Korean (3 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttskok.exe

* Portuguese (Brazil) (2.4 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsptb.exe

* Russian (2.9 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsrur.exe

* Spanish (2.4 MB exe)
http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/agent2/lhttsspe.exe
</q>

AFAIK the Lernout & Hauspie voices are the only free voices around. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware