freeware image editor

Man-wai Chang

Other than GIMP, any good image editor?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6
^ ^ 08:06:01 up 1 day 21:24 load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

Man-wai Chang

Fran said:
Paint.NET looks pretty good.

junk! why do we need a .net framework for simple image editing?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6
^ ^ 18:19:01 up 2 days 7:37 load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

Toke Eskildsen

Man-wai Chang said:
junk! why do we need a .net framework for simple image editing?

You might as well say "Junk! Why do we need a operating system for
simple image editing?".

So no, you don't need .NET for simple image editing. You have the
possibility of using one of many image editing programs, if you have
..NET installed. Just as well as you can use Java programs with JRE
installed and Mac programs if you have OSX on your maschine.

John Corliss

Man-wai Chang said:

Good choice! However, note that it will not save to the .gif file format.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Man-wai Chang

Toke said:
You might as well say "Junk! Why do we need a operating system for
simple image editing?".

OS is the basis for users to communicate with the hardware. You can't
live without one, be it WinTendo or Linux.

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6
^ ^ 20:08:01 up 2 days 9:26 load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

Man-wai Chang

Good choice! However, note that it will not save to the .gif file format.

You only need gif if you want

1. animation
2. a transparent background

Are these important criteria? I don't know...

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6
^ ^ 20:09:01 up 2 days 9:27 load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00

Man-wai Chang said:
OS is the basis for users to communicate with the hardware. You
can't live without one, be it WinTendo or Linux.

An OS is just another program. No magic there. There's no reason that
the needed functionality from the OS couldn't be embedded in a program
for image editing.

But it would be inconvenient, and that's the point. By abstracting the
low-level hardware interaction, we make it easier to make applications.

Back in the DOS days, you needed to draw your own widgets, if you
wanted to make an application with a non-character based GUI. Today,
Windows and other operating systems provide most of these. .NET (and
Java btw) further extends on this, providing the programmer with a
fairly rich base of functionality.

Susan Bugher

Franklin said:
Needs registration phone call to supplier after trial period.

Registration is keyed to your hard drive - users will be SOL somewhere
down the road if Serif stops re-registering the app. :(

Program: Serif PhotoPlus 6
Author: Serif
Ware: (Registerware: keyed to hard drive/renewable) (free)
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/

Image editors listed on the ACF pages:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1.20Editor:Photo-Paint

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

M.L.

Needs registration phone call to supplier after trial period.

But it's well worth it compared to the other freeware image editors.
PP6 is the only free one that supports both layers and the PhotoShop
plugin architecture.

I've tried PaintStar, PhotoFiltre, Paint.Net, and GimpShop.

PhotoFiltre: No plugin or layer support. I really don't see what's the
fuss about that program.

PaintStar: Very capable paint program, but not as good as Art Weaver.
Good image editing tools, but not as good as PP6. Has layers, but no
plugin support.

Paint.Net: Poor text handling. Supports layers, but not plugins. Don't
understand the attraction.

GimpShop: Poor interface for those used to using Windows apps.
Supports layers and plugins (not sure of PhotoShop plugins support).

Daniel Mandic

Franklin said:
Needs registration phone call to supplier after trial period.

I still have my Reg. archived. I have got it by E-Mail!!

There is no trouble and it is free, except the reg.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

John Corliss

Man-wai Chang said:
You only need gif if you want

1. animation
2. a transparent background

Are these important criteria? I don't know...

Personally, I pretty much stick with .jpg, .tif and .bmp formats. And
there are always other programs that can convert from any of those to
..gif if necessary.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)
or Roger Johansson, for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial
software, crippleware, demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware,
spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Art

Personally, I pretty much stick with .jpg, .tif and .bmp formats. And
there are always other programs that can convert from any of those to
.gif if necessary.

I've found gifs useful for certain images I want to put up at my web
site since they are usually much smaller files. For clarity/fidelity,
the images must be of the kind gifs were created for ... large areas
of uniform color ... such as cartoons. But I find they make for decent
clarity/fidelity of screen shots of Windows GUI displays .... like for
creating step by step instructions and the like.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg