free blackjack game

John Corliss

I have completed a new blackjack game and I have made it freely
available for download at this address
http://www.dwgreer.net/blackjack/javajack.html. Please send feedback
to (e-mail address removed).

I don't know too many people who will just take an anonymous poster's
word that a link to a program is a safe download. My advice to you is
that you submit your program to some of the more reputable freeware
websites like Nonags or Snapfiles for review.

HTH

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Vegard Krog Petersen

John said:
I don't know too many people who will just take an anonymous poster's
word that a link to a program is a safe download. My advice to you is
that you submit your program to some of the more reputable freeware
websites like Nonags or Snapfiles for review.

HTH

A better website with a short desription of features, a screenshot,
system requirements, download size and your name would have helped a lot...

regards from vegard

dwg

All three previous postings are ridiculous. I am not posting
anonymously. You can look up my WHOIS info from my domain name and
find out my street address and phone number. I've also had many people
take the "dangerous plunge" of downloading a program from my site. I
dont need any of those stupid gimmicks like the shareware guys with the
screenshots, sys reqs, goofy graphics and all that junk. Just download
and try it. Why do you need to deal with those gay sites? Read my
philsophy page at http://www.dwgreer.net/phil.html. Its written in
java so you need the java vm...thats all and that is stated. Any
computer that will run the java vm will run it. As for the hold-em
comment, this is a blackjack game. You dont give that reply to a
posting for a pacman game so why do that here?

Vegard Krog Petersen

All three previous postings are ridiculous.
Can't answer for the two other comments.
I am not posting
anonymously. You can look up my WHOIS info from my domain name and
find out my street address and phone number.

You're correct. But that is laziness from your side. We should not be
forced to look up WHOIS everytime we wanna download something. I don't
think you'll find many in this group who will agree with you on this
issue...

I've also had many people
take the "dangerous plunge" of downloading a program from my site.

And they are obviously not concerned for their computers security...

dont need any of those stupid gimmicks like the shareware guys with the
screenshots, sys reqs, goofy graphics and all that junk.

This is not a shareware concept/issue. It will give your visitor
confidence in you and you're freeeware offering . More people will
download. And if they don't like what they see in your screenshot, they
will not download and save themselves the irritation later. And reduce
your bandwith.

Read my

There is no link to this page from your blackjack page.

If you listen to friendly advice, you'll get along better with the acf
community... :)

regards from vegard

Craig

Vegard said:
This is not a shareware concept/issue. It will give your visitor
confidence in you and you're freeeware offering . More people will
download. And if they don't like what they see in your screenshot, they
will not download and save themselves the irritation later. And reduce
your bandwith.

Dwg;

For me, at least, Vegard's right. It takes a leap of faith to install a
new proggy from a developer not known to me. Having more info
describing/demonstrating your work (on your site and other freeware
sites) will increase the chance that I download it and decrease the
chance it's uninstalled. Fwiw.

g'luck to you,
-Craig

Luis Cobian

All three previous postings are ridiculous. I am not posting
anonymously. ... You dont give that reply to a
posting for a pacman game so why do that here?

Welcome to the freeware community :)

Susan Bugher

Welcome to the freeware community :)

The freeware community would like to survive. ;) If some stranger
accosts you on the street with a glass of liquid and says "drink this"
do you oblige him?

http://www.dwgreer.net/blackjack/javajack.html

<q>
Practice your skills with this java blackjack application. Send bug
finds and comments to (e-mail address removed)
It requires the java runtime environment, available here
Download link: javajack.zip
</q>

In effect all that says is "drinkme". I think it's reasonable to ask for
a little more information before imbibing.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

dwg

I understand alot of your responses, but its kind of unfortunate that
attention is being diverted from the program itself. It also has to be
stated that very few malicious programs are java standalone
applications. I come from a different community and there is a
difference of philosophy. I was brought up in the UNIX hacker
community and in that community, people just post whatever and you
download at your own risk. I'm not looking to become famous or sell
software or anything like that so Im not concerned with getting tons of
hits. Any casual user could look at my site and easily determine that
I'm not offering up viruses. As for Susan's comment, I'm not looking
for people who have never used a computer before to download my
programs. Users should be savvy enough to check out the site and find
info themselves and make their own determination.

Craig

..<stuff deleted>..Users should be savvy enough to check out the site and find
info themselves and make their own determination.
Fair enough. Thanks for the follow up.

-Craig

Susan Bugher

As for Susan's comment, I'm not looking
for people who have never used a computer before to download my
programs. Users should be savvy enough to check out the site and find
info themselves and make their own determination.

The amount of information you furnish about your programs is entirely up
to you. The following is a comment on "standard practice".

Freeware authors create very few programs for "people who have never
used a computer before" and most freeware authors furnish more
information than you have. For example - Luis Cobian:
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/index.htm

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John Fitzsimons

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:35:29 +0100, Vegard Krog Petersen

A better website with a short desription of features, a screenshot,
system requirements, download size and your name would have helped a lot...

Agreed. Most freeware authors can manage that.

A site to keep away from....unless one wants a good example of what
NOT to do when creating a web site/download.

Regards, John.

dwg

Adding additonal information is nice, but it wastes time. If you look
at my programs, what additional info do you need other than maybe the
source code?(which is on the way for all of them) Download it, try it,
if it doesnt work...keep it movin and do something else. Cobian's
site also has gay graphics,asks for donations, and has no mention of
source code...things I'm adamantly against. I dont have source on my
site either, but I am in the process of cleaning it up to post. The
site has only been up for four weeks and I've completed three programs
and a math paper. I just offer up my work....no gimmicks.

Vegard Krog Petersen

Adding additonal information is nice, but it wastes time. If you look
at my programs, what additional info do you need

That's the problem, dwg. Because of security reasons, most people won't
download your program at all...especially in view of the lack of
information about you and the game.

http://www.dwgreer.net/
This helps a bit....
I've completed three programs
and a math paper. I just offer up my work....no gimmicks.

Good work, dwg. Now just spend an hour or two with the website/page and
a lot more people will try out your offerings! :)

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

Adding additonal information is nice, but it wastes time. If you look
at my programs, what additional info do you need <snip>

You waste other people's time when you make them hunt for information.

As webmaster of the Pricelessware site I need the type of information
that's shown on the Pricelessware and ACF web pages - sometimes it's
damned hard to come by. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware