free area code lookup

Al Klein

I have developed a free area code lookup program available for
Windows. The url is http://www.dwgreer.net/telph/telph.html . You
input the three digit area code and you are presented with the state
and cities for that area code. The program is completely free and free
of restrictions. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Putting the data in an external file would make it easier for the end
user to download updates.

It would be nice if you turned it around also - input the city and
state and get the area code.

Otherwise, nicely done.

FTR

Al said:
Putting the data in an external file would make it easier for the end
user to download updates.

It would be nice if you turned it around also - input the city and
state and get the area code.

Otherwise, nicely done.

Yeah, and as we are on the Internet AND are an international newsgroup
you might indicate the country for which it provides all these functions ..

- Frank

Eskay

Yeah, and as we are on the Internet AND are an international newsgroup
you might indicate the country for which it provides all these functions ..

- Frank

And since USA and Canada are together with the same phone setup and area
codes it would be nice to include that as well.

Eskay.

dwg

On my webpage this program is stated as being for the United States. I
apologize for not including that in the post. The earliest version of
this program did include an external file. I decided not to do that
this time because inexperienced users may have had a harder time using
it and I didnt want to package it as an "installation" program. Good
suggestions.

dwg

My program is meant to be an easier alternative to web-based
lookups. It's easier, smaller, and more convenient. In a few months
it will be more fully featured than this web-based lookup. My
philosophy is to give the power to the people. You can download my
program and do whatever you want with it....take it anywhere. When I
release the source code, you can create your own version. With these
web-based things, you have to go to "their" website and do it "their
way".

Lou

My program is meant to be an easier alternative to web-based
lookups. It's easier, smaller, and more convenient. In a few months
it will be more fully featured than this web-based lookup. My
philosophy is to give the power to the people. You can download my
program and do whatever you want with it....take it anywhere. When I
release the source code, you can create your own version. With these
web-based things, you have to go to "their" website and do it "their
way".

With all due respect have you tried the verizon site?

Gives added info and typing in a 3 didit number seems pretty easy to me.

Lou

Al Klein

Gives added info and typing in a 3 didit number seems pretty easy to me.

How does area code, zip code (US only, of course), city and/or state
lookup in the same program sound? If it's better than what's out
there I'll post my program for download.

Susan Bugher

Eskay wrote:

Cheesh. . . two thumbs down for the above site.

A bit of checking shows that Michigan's upper peninsula was omitted. For
example: Sault Ste. Marie (area code 906) - not in the area code search,
not on the list of Michigan cities . . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Lou

Susan said:
Cheesh. . . two thumbs down for the above site.

A bit of checking shows that Michigan's upper peninsula was omitted. For
example: Sault Ste. Marie (area code 906) - not in the area code search,
not on the list of Michigan cities . . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

You are right. The dummies do have 906 on the map but have no other reference
to it, nor is there any obvious way to contact them about it.
But remember the price <sigh>

Lou

Susan Bugher

You are right. The dummies do have 906 on the map but have no other reference
to it, nor is there any obvious way to contact them about it.
But remember the price <sigh>

I thought the idea was to recommend *GOOD* free Webware. ;)

FYI this site knows the UP exists even if they don't know what to call
it (they renamed it the "Northern Peninsula"). :)

http://www.infospace.com/swbd.main/white-pages/reverse-lookup

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

dwg

My program does include the 906 area code...another reason to use it
over Verizon's. If someone has the time, could they check my program
and see if any current United States area codes are omitted? Of course
I'll do it eventually but its good to have a second pair of eyes.

The Chief Instigator

My program does include the 906 area code...another reason to use it
over Verizon's. If someone has the time, could they check my program
and see if any current United States area codes are omitted? Of course
I'll do it eventually but its good to have a second pair of eyes.

432 is missing - west Texas, including Midland and Odessa...

Susan Bugher

The said:
(e-mail address removed) writes:

432 is missing - west Texas, including Midland and Odessa...

<q> 432
Ackerly, Alpine, Andrews, Big Bend N.P., Big Spring, Comstock, East
Hobbs, Ft. Davis, Ft. Stockton, Garden City, Iraan, Kermit, Langtry,
Marfa, Midland, Monahans, Odessa, Orla, Pecos, Presidio, Rankin,
Sanderson, Seminole, Sheffield, Terlingua, Toyah, Valentine, Van Horn
</q>

the above is a quote from AT&T's area code reference page:

http://www.consumer.att.com/global/english/usa_codes.html
http://www.consumer.att.com/global/english/usa_codes.html#canada

a different area code presentation:
http://www.thedirectory.org/pref/

but. . . "If an area code has recently undergone a split you may not
find the new area code's listings yet. If that happens use the area code
before the split occurred."

Both sites look useful for checking purposes.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

The Chief Instigator

<q> 432
Ackerly, Alpine, Andrews, Big Bend N.P., Big Spring, Comstock, East Hobbs,
Ft. Davis, Ft. Stockton, Garden City, Iraan, Kermit, Langtry, Marfa, Midland,
Monahans, Odessa, Orla, Pecos, Presidio, Rankin, Sanderson, Seminole,
Sheffield, Terlingua, Toyah, Valentine, Van Horn
</q>

You forgot Mentone. ;-)
the above is a quote from AT&T's area code reference page:

a different area code presentation:
http://www.thedirectory.org/pref/
but. . . "If an area code has recently undergone a split you may not find the
new area code's listings yet. If that happens use the area code before the
split occurred."
Both sites look useful for checking purposes.

True, though 432 has been past the permissive-dialing stage for a year or two,
by now...

dwg

Thanks for the info, Susan. I did alot of research on the area codes,
but only did it for a few days. Good catch on the 432 area code,
Chief. If there are any coders out there, I'll be posting the source
code soon. You'll be disgusted at how I set up the area code database!

The Chief Instigator

Thanks for the info, Susan. I did alot of research on the area codes,
but only did it for a few days. Good catch on the 432 area code,
Chief. If there are any coders out there, I'll be posting the source
code soon. You'll be disgusted at how I set up the area code database!

Thanks...and if you think that's bad, try doing something like that for the
office codes in just the 713/281/832 area that I'm in.