FP2003 Theme Question

G

Hello, I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can manually edit a theme in my site. I typically would not even use a theme, but the only reason I am doing so is because I want to use my own graphics for the Link Bars. When I created the theme I only selected the Active Graphics option so that I could then choose my off state, on state, and hover state buttons that I made, but it appears that FP2003 did more than that for me as my external CSS file is being overidden by this custom theme I created. I ONLY want to customize the graphics buttons for the link bars in my site, nothing else. Is this even possible?

I opened the _themes folder that was created in the hopes that I could delete the extraneous things (everything but the graphic buttons I made for the link bars) that seem to be overiding my external CSS file and all I see is a file called themes.inf, but it seems to me that's not what I am looking for. Unfortunately the site I am working on has many pages so it would be foolish for me not to use Link Bars, however, I would find it rather foolish if I could not simply add my own button graphics to those Link Bars without affecting other aspects of the site. Please advise

Thanks

G

Ok, I accidentally had another theme installed at the same time so it was not displaying the contents of the _theme folder correctly. I have that corrected now and I can see the various .CSS files which FP2003 felt was necessary to generate even though I only specified that I wanted new graphic images for my vertical link bars and that's all. I have deleted all of the extraneous theme stuff that FP2003 generated so all I have left in the _theme folder now is the following

butt1010.css which contains the following coding (had to manually delete alot)
..msthem

navbutton-vert-normal: url(off_grey.gif)
navbutton-vert-hovered: url(on_blue.gif)
navbutton-vert-pushed: url(on_blue.gif)

..mstheme-vert-navtx

font-family: Tahoma
color: rgb(255, 255, 255)
font-size: 3
font-style: normal
font-weight: normal
text-align: center
vertical-align: middle

and graph1.css which contains the following code (again had to manually delete alot)
..msthem

navbutton-vert-normal: url(off_grey.gif)
navbutton-vert-hovered: url(on_blue.gif)
navbutton-vert-pushed: url(on_blue.gif)

..mstheme-vert-navtx

font-family: Tahoma
color: rgb(255, 255, 255)
font-size: 3
font-style: normal
font-weight: normal
text-align: center
vertical-align: middle

Now I noticed there was a theme.css (I believe that's what it was called) that I deleted from the _theme folder. Do I need to take the external .CSS file that I created on my own and rename it theme.css and drop it into the _theme folder? Will that then return my other style settings? Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Unless you have save the modified theme under a new name and then applied that, FP will overwrite
any changes you have made.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Dryvlyne said:
Ok, I accidentally had another theme installed at the same time so it was not displaying the
contents of the _theme folder correctly. I have that corrected now and I can see the various .CSS
files which FP2003 felt was necessary to generate even though I only specified that I wanted new
graphic images for my vertical link bars and that's all. I have deleted all of the extraneous theme
stuff that FP2003 generated so all I have left in the _theme folder now is the following:
butt1010.css which contains the following coding (had to manually delete alot):
.mstheme
{
navbutton-vert-normal: url(off_grey.gif);
navbutton-vert-hovered: url(on_blue.gif);
navbutton-vert-pushed: url(on_blue.gif);
}
.mstheme-vert-navtxt
{
font-family: Tahoma;
color: rgb(255, 255, 255);
font-size: 3;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
text-align: center;
vertical-align: middle;
}

and graph1.css which contains the following code (again had to manually delete alot):
.mstheme
{
navbutton-vert-normal: url(off_grey.gif);
navbutton-vert-hovered: url(on_blue.gif);
navbutton-vert-pushed: url(on_blue.gif);
}
.mstheme-vert-navtxt
{
font-family: Tahoma;
color: rgb(255, 255, 255);
font-size: 3;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
text-align: center;
vertical-align: middle;
}

Now I noticed there was a theme.css (I believe that's what it was called) that I deleted from the
_theme folder. Do I need to take the external .CSS file that I created on my own and rename it
theme.css and drop it into the _theme folder? Will that then return my other style settings? Please
let me know your thoughts!

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Don't edit the theme css files
- FP updated them from the stored theme .elm file
Either use:
Format Theme (select your theme and the dropdown for Customize) and save as a new theme name
Or
See how to edit it in a more granular way in
http://sbrenjoy.bizland.com/frontpage/themes/newthemes.html

--

| Ok, I accidentally had another theme installed at the same time so it was not displaying the contents of the _theme folder
correctly. I have that corrected now and I can see the various .CSS files which FP2003 felt was necessary to generate even though I
only specified that I wanted new graphic images for my vertical link bars and that's all. I have deleted all of the extraneous theme
stuff that FP2003 generated so all I have left in the _theme folder now is the following:
|
| butt1010.css which contains the following coding (had to manually delete alot):
| .mstheme
| {
| navbutton-vert-normal: url(off_grey.gif);
| navbutton-vert-hovered: url(on_blue.gif);
| navbutton-vert-pushed: url(on_blue.gif);
| }
| .mstheme-vert-navtxt
| {
| font-family: Tahoma;
| color: rgb(255, 255, 255);
| font-size: 3;
| font-style: normal;
| font-weight: normal;
| text-align: center;
| vertical-align: middle;
| }
|
| and graph1.css which contains the following code (again had to manually delete alot):
| .mstheme
| {
| }
| .mstheme-vert-navtxt
| {
| }
|
|
| Now I noticed there was a theme.css (I believe that's what it was called) that I deleted from the _theme folder. Do I need to take
the external .CSS file that I created on my own and rename it theme.css and drop it into the _theme folder? Will that then return my
other style settings? Please let me know your thoughts!
|
| Thanks

S

Stefan B Rusynko

DWT are Not like Include Pages
See the articles at
http://office.microsoft.com/search/...mic+web+templates&CTT=6&Origin=EC010331121033

--

| Ok, I accidentally had another theme installed at the same time so it was not displaying the contents of the _theme folder
correctly. I have that corrected now and I can see the various .CSS files which FP2003 felt was necessary to generate even though I
only specified that I wanted new graphic images for my vertical link bars and that's all. I have deleted all of the extraneous theme
|
| butt1010.css which contains the following coding (had to manually delete alot):
| .mstheme
| {
| }
| .mstheme-vert-navtxt
| {
| }
|
| and graph1.css which contains the following code (again had to manually delete alot):
| .mstheme
| {
| }
| .mstheme-vert-navtxt
| {
| }
|
|
| Now I noticed there was a theme.css (I believe that's what it was called) that I deleted from the _theme folder. Do I need to take
the external .CSS file that I created on my own and rename it theme.css and drop it into the _theme folder? Will that then return my
other style settings? Please let me know your thoughts!
|
| Thanks

Ask a Question