FP Discussion Forum

The FP Discussion Forum Wizard seems to create the same forum set up whether you check the "registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps that you need to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, what are they?

Thomas A. Rowe

Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion group" and unless your site
is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registration component, as it not
supported under Windows IIS servers.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

frontpager said:
The FP Discussion Forum Wizard seems to create the same forum set up whether you check the
"registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps that you need
to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, what are
they?

I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linux server. There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users to post Thanks for your help

----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion group" and unless your sit
is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registration component, as it no
supported under Windows IIS servers

Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
WEBMASTER Resources(tm
http://www.ycoln-resources.co
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

frontpager said:
The FP Discussion Forum Wizard seems to create the same forum set up whether you check th
"registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps that you nee
to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, what ar
they

Thomas A. Rowe

Which version of FP are you using?

frontpager said:
I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linux server.
There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users to
post Thanks for your help.

I am using FP2003

frontpager said:
I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linux server
There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users t
post Thanks for your help

Stefan B Rusynko

The DW must be first be created as a subweb under a root web and published
All the rest below must be done in your online site in FP (not your local site)

If you want to control who has access see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825451
Your host will have to support subwebs and unique permissions under the FP Server Extensions

If you want to just have user self register before use of the DW subweb
In the Root web select File New (more page templates) and the User Registration Template and see the instructions
(in the subweb online you would select Registered Users in the Permissions per the above link)

--

| I am using FP2003
|

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
|
| Which version of FP are you using?
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linux server.
| There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users to
| post Thanks for your help.
| >> ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
| >> Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion group" and unless your
| site
| > is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registration component, as it not
| > supported under Windows IIS servers.
| >> --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > "registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps that
| you need
| > to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, what
| are
| > they?

I have a linux server and they tell me that I have to use PHP and my SQL and that this will not work unless I am on a Windows server. Is this correct

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

The DW must be first be created as a subweb under a root web and publishe
All the rest below must be done in your online site in FP (not your local site

If you want to control who has access se
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;82545
Your host will have to support subwebs and unique permissions under the FP Server Extension

If you want to just have user self register before use of the DW subwe
In the Root web select File New (more page templates) and the User Registration Template and see the instruction
(in the subweb online you would select Registered Users in the Permissions per the above link

SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
"Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-
To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| I am using FP200

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

| Which version of FP are you using

| --
| =============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm
| http://www.ycoln-resources.co
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
| =============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| | > I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linux server
| There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users t
| post Thanks for your help
| >> ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----
| >> Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion group" and unless you
| sit
| > is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registration component, as it no
| > supported under Windows IIS servers
| >> --
| > =============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm
| > http://www.ycoln-resources.co
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
| > =============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as
| > "registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps tha
| you nee
| > to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, wha
| ar
| > they

Thomas A. Rowe

What specifically, did they tell you will not work?

frontpager said:
I have a linux server and they tell me that I have to use PHP and my SQL and that this will not
work unless I am on a Windows server. Is this correct?

Nothing specific. They just said that this method requires a windows server to work and since they are a Linux server, none of it would wor

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----
The DW must be first be created as a subweb under a root web and publishe
All the rest below must be done in your online site in FP (not your local site
If you want to control who has access se
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;82545
Your host will have to support subwebs and unique permissions under the FP Server Extension
If you want to just have user self register before use of the DW subwe
In the Root web select File New (more page templates) and the User Registration Template an see the instruction
(in the subweb online you would select Registered Users in the Permissions per the abov linkSBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
____________________________________________ | I am using FP200

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

| Which version of FP are you using

| --
| =============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm
| http://www.ycoln-resources.co
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
| =============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| | > I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a linu server
| There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow onl registered users t
| post Thanks for your help
| >> ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----
| >> Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion group and unless you
| sit
| > is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registratio component, as it no
| > supported under Windows IIS servers
| >> --
| > =============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > "registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there additional steps that
| you need
| > to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can post and if so, what
| are
| > they?

Thomas A. Rowe

1. FP Subwebs require only that the server has the FP extensions, whether or not the server is
Unix/Linux or Windows IIS doesn't matter as Subwebs are supported on both, if the host choose to
allow them to be used.

2. The FP Self-Registration (form) component only works on Unix/Linux servers, as it is not
supported on Windows IIS servers.

frontpageer said:
Nothing specific. They just said that this method requires a windows server to work and since
they are a Linux server, none of it would work

"frontpager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| I am using FP2003
|

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
|
| Which version of FP are you using?
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > I could not find anything under help that pertains to this. I am hosted on a
linux
server.
| There is quite a bit on how to edit the forum but nothing on how to allow only registered users to
| post Thanks for your help.
| >> ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
| >> Are you following the instructions under Help - "Creating a discussion
group"
and unless your
| site
| > is hosted on a Unix/Linux server, you can not use the Self-Registration component, as it not
| > supported under Windows IIS servers.
| >> --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
you
check the
| > "registered users only" or "no, anyone can post" options. Are there
additional
steps that
| you need
| > to take if you want to set up the forum where only registered users can
post
and if so, what
| are
| > they?

thanks again for all of your help on thi

----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----
What specifically, did they tell you will not work
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
WEBMASTER Resources(tm
http://www.ycoln-resources.co
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as
I have a linux server and they tell me that I have to use PHP and my SQL and that this wil
no
work unless I am on a Windows server. Is this correct
All the rest below must be done in your online site in FP (not your local site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;82545
Your host will have to support subwebs and unique permissions under the FP Serve Extension