*Formatting 320GB External HD, from NTFS to FAT32, so It wil work with PS3?*

Reaction score
I have a 320GB external HD and I want to format it from NTFS to FAT32 so that I can play downloaded movies and such on my PS3.

I have tried partition magic, and several other partition programs. Nothing seems to be working.

The brand of the Ext. HD is "Simple Drive"
Im running windows XP media edition.

Ive tried Swiss Knife, Partition Magic, Partition Logic and many more to fix this problem. Nothing seems to work. I would really love some help!

Thanks in advance!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just put a 2.5 inch 500GB drive in mine with no issue, not sure about an external one though.

P.S, one threads enough, ill delete the other one. :)

Reaction score
Its soo frustrating, I just cant take it anymore. Sorry about posting it a few times, I didnt know what section to post it in.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Parted Magic will do all you require and is user friendly. That Swissknife that wiz linked to look easy to use and would probably be better suited to you.

nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
GreekGoddess said:
I have a 320GB external HD and I want to format it from NTFS to FAT32 so that I can play downloaded movies and such on my PS3.

I have tried partition magic, and several other partition programs. Nothing seems to be working.

The brand of the Ext. HD is "Simple Drive"
Im running windows XP media edition.

Ive tried Swiss Knife, Partition Magic, Partition Logic and many more to fix this problem. Nothing seems to work. I would really love some help!

Thanks in advance!
;)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
As far as i'm aware if your using a USB external drive the power supplied to it is limited by the PS3, this is so that you can only use a USB stick for backing up data.

I read its a security feature so you can't play back ripped Blu-Ray, same reason it use Fat32 as standard cause the partitions support a single file upto 4Gb so if you have ripped movies you have to split them down into 3 or 4 files.

I have a 320Gb Laptop HDD in my PS3, you can always install a bugger HDD in it, like £50 then link it to your PC as the PS3 is wireless then over your network you can access all your films and music as long as they are in media centre on the PC/Laptop. As the PS3 support is DivX4 now i think it will play most files.

If you have a USB stick you can watch or copy movies off of that onto the PS3, When it shows the external media just press TRIANGLE then SHOW ALL.

Laptop HDD are very cheap at the mo.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R I goofed again.

WF if it is a 3.5 external hdd will it not have its own power pack ?

GG have you tried to format the drive when it is connected INTERNALLY to a pc ? ie. using the internal cabling rather than the usb cable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP will only format a removable drive in FAT32 if it’s less than 32GB! not sure what the difference is in Media Eddition of Windows.

What you need to do is the use the DOS command prompt, although SwissKnife should be able to do it for you I have heard reports of it also failing.

Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.

Now type in the following command at the prompt:

format /FS:FAT32 X:
Replace the letter X with the letter of your external hard drive in Windows.

Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!

Be prepaired for a bit of a wait, it can tak its time. ;)
:user:

Ask a Question