form results with e-mail

I am using Fp2003. In creating a form I have included a text box for the
user to enter their e-mail. When I review the results I see their e-mail but
it is not in the form of a link. How can I configure a form field so when I
view the results the field I have named e-mail shows the users email address
in the form of a link.

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP-MVP]

You will have to develop your own form handler. Frontpages formhandler
can't do this.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:40:03 -0700, "Finger Tips" <Finger

Thomas A. Rowe

You would set up the Reply-To option to use the field on the form where the user enter their email
address, then in your email client application, you click reply to sender, etc. to email them back.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

I not sure where to find the reply-to command

Thomas A. Rowe said:
You would set up the Reply-To option to use the field on the form where the user enter their email
address, then in your email client application, you click reply to sender, etc. to email them back.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Thomas A. Rowe

Under Form Properties

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Hi tom, maybe I didn't explain what i want to do well. when the results are
posted by the forms handler i want the viewer to see the e-mail address with
the link entered by the person submitting the form. The view i see shows the
e-mail address but without the link so the viewer can just click it to open
an e-mailbox. the first link is the form to used to post the info. The
first link below is the page to post the inofmation. The second link is the
posted information from the form viewers can see. I want the e-mail address
to have the link already in it so the viewer can just click it to send an
e-mail back to the original person who submitted the form. I have used the
discussion forum package to develop these pages. Everything works great
except the e-mail link. I even tried entering an e-mail address in the
comments textbox, but that too does not com through as an e-amil with the
link.

http://www.mytownhall.info/classifiedad_post.htm

http://www.mytownhall.info/_classifiedad/00000005.htm

example:

95 Dodge Ram
Category: Automobile
Price: 10,000
From: (e-mail address removed) (I want this to come through from the form as an
e-mail address)
Date: October 18, 2005

Comments

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, then the user has to enter the email address in the following format:

mailto:[email protected]

And by allowing users to post their email addresses, you will be providing their email address to
every email harvesting robot used by spammers to grab email addresses from the internet.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

If I leave it as it is wothout the link do i still expose their addess to be
picked up by the robot?

Ronx

Yes. The robots will also look for the @ character, and pick up the address
from there.

can I use an e-mail scrambler to protect against this? How is it that other
sites are posting this information so users interested in what the person has
can get back in touch with them?

Thomas A. Rowe

Many sites user server-side scripting and a database to hide the email address but allow user to be
contacted by email.

To scramble the email addresses, you would have to manually post each listing and then type the
email address in, in a scrambled state.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Thomas A. Rowe

Correction:

"Many sites user" should read as "Many sites use"

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Ronx

I will not use a site that publishes my email address, and I advise my
friends to not use them. There are ways to facilitate communications
between posters in other ways, such as storing the addy in a database and
using a form (requires custom server side scripting) to send the initial
email.

There are scrambler programs that apparantly work - an example is Spam
Spoiler at
http://www.jimcoaddins.com/addins.aspx
However, to utilise a scrambler in interactive pages will require server
side scripts, FrontPage cannot do these for you.