Force Logoff in XP

Mark

All,
I have read similar issues as this one on forcing a logoff using
winexit.scr and there seems to be a common theme of it not working. I
may have a different situation. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an AD domain using Group Policy to enforce certain screensaver
requirements. I now have one machine that serves as a kiosk that I need
to implement a logoff setting on. The users will be logging onto this
machine as well as their own desktop on the network. Therefore, I
cannot implement a new OU with a user defined GP because they cannot be
logged off after x minutes of inactivity on their machines. I have read
about ADM files as well as local policies, but none seem to be working
correctly. I am willing to try almost anything including a third party
tool to accomplish this need. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

This sounds like it may work for my need. One problem I have run into
is the fact that winexit.scr has settings that need to be changed on
the local desktop. Therefore, it is recommended to create an ADM file
instead of using direct GPO. I think I have found a way around that
though. Thanks for your feedback and I will let you know how it turns
out.

Mark

The GPO is now working as it should. However, when using winexit.scr
there are settings that have to set on the client. You cannot set these
in GPO. The settings include forcing programs to terminate which is a
must. How can I get this setting to each new user that logs on to this
computer without manually changing it?

Bruce Sanderson

You might consider building and using a custom ADM.

I'm not familiar with the settings to force applications to end; where
exactly are these settings?

Mark

The force programs to terminate is actually a setting within the logoff
screensaver winexit.scr. I have read where an ADM file is recommended,
but I have never created one on from scratch. I will look into doing
that. Thanks for the reply.

Bruce Sanderson

Here's some links I have on my web site at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/WindowsGeneralWeb/links_to_gpo_information.htm
that you might find useful.

Group Policy in Windows Server 2003 - links to several Group Policy
documents

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...r2003/technologies/management/gp/default.mspx

White paper on implementing registry-based group policy for applications -
how to and some best practices for building application specific Group
Policies and custom Administrative Templates Windows 2000 version

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.aspWhite paper on implementing registry-based group policy for applications -how to and some best practices for building application specific GroupPolicies and custom Administrative Templates Windows 2003 version http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=en--Bruce Sanderson MVPIt's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question."Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in messageThe force programs to terminate is actually a setting within the logoff> screensaver winexit.scr. I have read where an ADM file is recommended,> but I have never created one on from scratch. I will look into doing> that. Thanks for the reply.>