folder with no permission?!

peter

I have a folder with just this permisison:

Everyone:(OI)(CI)R

I cannot change anything inside this folder and I cannot change the
permission of this folder even as an administrator. How could this happen
and how can I gain back control of it?

I'm using winXP home and cacls to view/set permission.

This happens to be my Favorites folder, so I cannot add/delete my IE
favorites.

peter

peter said:
I have a folder with just this permisison:

Everyone:(OI)(CI)R

I cannot change anything inside this folder and I cannot change the
permission of this folder even as an administrator. How could this happen
and how can I gain back control of it?

I found a solution: I grant administrator status to my work account, then
from my work account I was able to add more permissions to the folder.

The work account used to be an admin type account but I changed it to
limited for security purpose. I wonder why I can add permission in this
account with admin status but cannot do so in the other admin account.

Jason Tan

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting,

From you post, you want to change permission of files inside a folder in
your initial post. Currently it seems that you have found a solution for
the issue and it works fine. However, you are wondering why you cannot
change the permission as administrator but can do it as the work account
when granting the work account with administrative privilege.

To make me more clearly on the issue, please help me know the following
information:

You have indicated "I cannot change anything inside this folder and I
cannot change the > permission of this folder even as an administrator."
Please help me know the error when you failed to change the permission as
administrator.

Actually, we must have administrative privilege to change the permission
using cacls.exe. Based on my test, it works fine on my side using both
built-in administrator account and user with administrative privilege. As
you said, if built-in administrator cannot do the work, I am wondering if
you are experiencing other permission issue as administrator. If so, if
could be an issue related to the security database. You may refer to the
following article:

313222 How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313222

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support