Folder on Start menu can't be opened

User

A program's installation, create on Win XP a folder on "C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Start Menu".
Now, on Vista, the same installation create the folder on
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu".
This new folder are visible on Start menu but can't be opened.
Why?

The problema can be reproduced creating a folder manually on the same
directory.

Bill

User said:
A program's installation, create on Win XP a folder on "C:\Documents
and
Settings\All Users\Start Menu".
Now, on Vista, the same installation create the folder on
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu".
This new folder are visible on Start menu but can't be opened.

Is it a folder called "Programs"?

If so, I found the same thing happens with some installations here,
but the next time you install something or restart Windows, it
disappears.

Another bug that didn't get squashed, I guess.

Chad Harris

User--

Please tell us exactly what it is you are trying to get done in reference to
this.

CH

Richard Urban

If YOU created the folder by installing an application:

Right click on Start

Open All Users or Open (Current User)

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

User

I'm using Vista Ultimate, definitive version.
The problem can be reproduced manually creating a folder on the following
directory:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu".

Richard Urban

I have no idea how you are trying to create said folder but you may want to
create one the correct way. (-;

1. Right click on the start button.

2. Left click on either open all users or users, depending on where you
want the folder to reside.

3. Right click in empty space in the right pane.

4. Go to new | Folder

5. Create the folder.

Simple, and it works every time.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

User

My problem is to open the folder when I see it on the Start menu.

To reprodure the problem:
1 - Create a folder named "Test1" in
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu".
2 - Create a folder named "Test2" in
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Test1".
3 - Click on the Start menu Button
4 - Click on "All Programs"
5 - Now you can see the "Test1" folder but if you click over it you can't
open it. Then you can't see the "Test2" folder!

Richard Urban

If you create it the way I told you it will open, unless you have
permissions problems.

Is there anything you haven't told us, such as services you may have turned
off in trying to save resources, turning off UAC, altering permissions etc?
Details please.

I have created dozens of folders on 6 different computers running Vista RTM
(also earlier builds) and have never had a problem when doing it as
explained above.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

DCR

Isn't he just not creating the folder in the appropriate USERS folder?
He is using: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu

DCR

| If you create it the way I told you it will open, unless you have
| permissions problems.
|
| Is there anything you haven't told us, such as services you may have turned
| off in trying to save resources, turning off UAC, altering permissions etc?
| Details please.
|
| I have created dozens of folders on 6 different computers running Vista RTM
| (also earlier builds) and have never had a problem when doing it as
| explained above.
|
| --
|

| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
| Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
| (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
|
| Quote from George Ankner:
| If you knew as much as you think you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
|
| | > My problem is to open the folder when I see it on the Start menu.
| >
| > To reprodure the problem:
| > 1 - Create a folder named "Test1" in
| > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu".
| > 2 - Create a folder named "Test2" in
| > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Test1".
| > 3 - Click on the Start menu Button
| > 4 - Click on "All Programs"
| > 5 - Now you can see the "Test1" folder but if you click over it you can't
| > open it. Then you can't see the "Test2" folder!

| >> create one the correct way. (-;
| >>
| >> 1. Right click on the start button.
| >>
| >> 2. Left click on either open all users or users, depending on where
| >> you
| >> want the folder to reside.
| >>
| >> 3. Right click in empty space in the right pane.
| >>
| >> 4. Go to new | Folder
| >>
| >> 5. Create the folder.
| >>
| >> Simple, and it works every time.
| >>
| >> --
| >>

| >> Regards,
| >>
| >> Richard Urban
| >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
| >> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
| >>
| >> Quote from George Ankner:
| >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
| >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

| > following

| > reference

| > and

Richard Urban

Right. If you do it the way I explained it gets created in the users folder,
because you are entering the user area prior to creating an additional
folder. Therefore you have all the permissions necessary.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Jane C

Try creating your new folder here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
instead of just under 'Start Menu'.

User

No permission problem.
Try it!