Folder Lock problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recent installed Folder Lock 6.1.7 on my XP laptop. I created a locker and locked a folder, and it just disappeared. The program was supposed to simply password protect it, not even encrypt the folder, but now it is completely disappeared along with the files inside of it. I browsed google for a long time to find quite a few users complaining about the program and their bad user support, but I sent a message to support anyways just in case a few minutes ago. I am hoping there is someone here who knows how to deal with this. Thanks in advanced :-(

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
have you tried searching for hidden folders? it may be a feature of the software that it hides the folder as well as password protecting it

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
http://Windows XP
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
  1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Double-click on the My Computer icon.
  3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
  5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
  6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
  7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
  8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
  9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
  10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
http://Windows Vista
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
  1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Click on the Start button. This is the small round button with the Windows flag in the lower left corner.
  3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.
  4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view:

If you are in the Classic View do the following:
    1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
    2. Click on the View tab.
    3. Go to step 5.
    If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:
    1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link .
    2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
    3. Go to step 5.
  5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
  6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
  7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
  8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
  9. Now Windows Vista is configured to show all hidden files.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-GB/default.mspx

:user:

Reaction score
Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies.

Yes I already have hidden folders shown including system folders (you learn to do that when you have to deal with lots of flash drives) but no there were no folders shown

I decided to uninstall the program as a last resort, although I have feared that I will face the same problems faced by many others that I read about online. But believe it or not, it worked flawlessly! As soon as it was uninstalled all the files and folders showed up. I was quite relieved.

Anyways thanks everyone again for you replies, and I hope everyone can learn from my experience. Don't try any file encryption/password-protecting program without research, and please do try it on some test files first before you use it on your critical files. The last thing you need is something like this happening to you. I was lucky, but you might not be.

Ask a Question