Fluctuating Raw Read Error Rate

Reaction score
Hi,

i have Seagate 500GB Hard drive abdworking fine but Active S.M.A.R.T reports that the Raw read error rate is fluctuating

first started at 118 and wentdown to 111. Now it's gone up to 114. and it happened in a matter of days The worst is 99 and the treshold is 6.
is this normal on Seagate hard disks?
Can anyone please explained?

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
When it starts 'clicking', then I would replace it. :)

:user:

Reaction score
no i dont hear any clicking sound yet. btw my Hitachi Harddrive have 46 reallocated counts for more than a year and the number hasnt increase ever since! is it bad??

Reaction score
I've tried making sense of the SMART reading before and never had any luck. Plus, some of the tools that get you those readings aren't all that accurate. If you're worried about the disk, you could always run CHKDSK, or hardware diagnostics. But I would go with mucks and not worry about it until you hear clicking or get an error message from Windows.

Reaction score
about the clicking noise. is it very loud or is it's hard to detect??

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
"The Click of Death" is a symptome of imminent doom. Numbers thrown up by a program like SMART are, at best, pointless. :)

I have personal experience with the hard drive click of death. It originated to describe a failure mode of the Iomega ZIP drives. And yes, I'm that old, actually I'm older. :lol:

Some hard drives are 'noisy' by nature, most are nice-n-quite.

Mr Google will entertain you in finding sound snippets of the CoD. :)

Reaction score
"The Click of Death" is a symptome of imminent doom. Numbers thrown up by a program like SMART are, at best, pointless. :)

I have personal experience with the hard drive click of death. It originated to describe a failure mode of the Iomega ZIP drives. And yes, I'm that old, actually I'm older. :lol:

Some hard drives are 'noisy' by nature, most are nice-n-quite.

Mr Google will entertain you in finding sound snippets of the CoD. :)

thanks i've listenen CoD's sounds and youtube. yet another question arise. does the click of death usually happens frequently or randomly. and what will to happen to running pc? is it going to freeze/crash or slowin' down when the CoD happens?? it's really hard to detect clicked sound from your hard drive while listening to loud music.

Reaction score
Suggest you back up the hard drive a.s.a.p before the Click of Death becomes final!!:dance:

Reaction score
one last question i accidentally hit restart button during chkdsk what is the most likely things that will happen to my drive or data???

Reaction score
in all likelihood, that won't do a thing. The first process in CHKDSK is just checking the disk for errors. If you ran CHKDSK /R and you rebooted during the repair stage, there may be an issue, but it's unlikely. You can also look through event viewer in the system logs to see if the hardware is throwing any errors in there.

Reaction score
in all likelihood, that won't do a thing. The first process in CHKDSK is just checking the disk for errors. If you ran CHKDSK /R and you rebooted during the repair stage, there may be an issue, but it's unlikely. You can also look through event viewer in the system logs to see if the hardware is throwing any errors in there.

i hit the reset during stage 4 or verifying file data. will it corrupting my existing data?

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
i hit the reset during stage 4 or checking the file data. will it corrupting my existing data?
It should not ... sometimes, in days of old, it took hours to check.

I only ever use it to check for 'bad sectors' ... a sure sign of a failing drive/something is wrong ... and then abort the process.

YMMV :)

Reaction score
It should not ... sometimes, in days of old, it took hours to check.

I only ever use it to check for 'bad sectors' ... a sure sign of a failing drive/something is wrong ... and then abort the process.

YMMV :)

thanks alot! it sure helping calm me down. im kinda become paranoid when it comes to my pc health. typical forever alone guy LOL
btw some forum said like this "DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS" is that true?

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks i've listenen CoD's sounds and youtube. yet another question arise. does the click of death usually happens frequently or randomly. and what will to happen to running pc? is it going to freeze/crash or slowin' down when the CoD happens?? it's really hard to detect clicked sound from your hard drive while listening to loud music.

still not answered?

Reaction score
The Click of Death is more an impending sign that the drive will likely die. It's not a guarantee and generally not the only way to tell. As far as actually opening the HDD itself, I wouldn't. I think you're more likely to permanently damage something than you are to fix it. Just check Event Viewer and run CHKDSK and see if they come back clean. What led you to start worrying about the health of your hard drive so much anyway? If it was just reads in SMART, I would ignore it and carry on with life.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Your had drive is as healthy as I am, oh wait ...

Put it this way, go do something interesting, you haven't got a 'problem' with your HD and don't listen to anyone who tells you the sky is falling. :)

Software can be re-installed, important data should backed up.

Ask a Question