Floppy Disks Wiped From The Shelves

Reaction score
A computer chain is dropping floppy disks from sale due to plummeting demand. PC World will no longer stock the computer storage devices once its existing supplies have been sold.

And later this year none of the machines it sells will have built-in floppy drives. The fast-moving world of technology has made floppy disks virtually redundant 36 years after they were invented, the chain said.

They have been replaced by CDs, memory cards and USB memory sticks which have up to 1,000 times as much storage capacity.

PC World commercial director Bryan Magrath said the "relentless" pace of technological change had left floppy disks unable to compete.

"The sound of a computer's floppy disk drive will be as closely associated with 20th Century computing as the sound of a computer dialling in to the internet," he said.

According to the chain, the heyday of the 3.5in disks was in 1998 when around two billion were sold around the world.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
About time too Good riddance to the wretched things
When i first started using pc's i can remember when pc mag software came on a floppy;)
Nowadays youngsters dont know how lucky they are:p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Feckit
When i first started using pc's i can remember when pc mag software came on a floppy;)
Nowadays youngsters dont know how lucky they are:p

and thats old !!!!! when i first started buying comp mags, the software came on
Audio Tapes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yeah, same here rush :lol:
& the comp plugged in to the TV cos it ididn't have it's own screen.
Atari basic.... ahhhhhh those were the days
Trying to learn Javascript now in the gaps I find while preparing for the wedding
& keep finding things i uesd to be able to do so much more easily with basic
fond memories :rolleyes: :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So why does Microsoft, self-proclaimed 'best OS software in the universe' insist on loading RAID drivers from a floppy disk during a fresh install?

And yes, I know, if you sussed, you can make the load see a USB stick, but it is rather complicated, is it not?

I'll agree, good riddance to floppy disk, what use is 1.44Mb anyway?

I just wish somebody would tell MS that thing.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sad to say but, you will still need to use a Floppy/CD or USB stick for your RAID drivers in Vista :rolleyes:

http://www.asciipr0n.com/archive/0013/bonnie/craft/

Enjoy!

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I liked floppys. Whack in a win98 boot disk and you could format and do all sorts of interesting stuff in DOS. Im a bit out the loop, amn't i?!!! haha.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It can all be done with USB sticks now bodhi :D Its been years since I used a floppy drive now, although I do miss my LS-120 super drive!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It can all be done with USB sticks now bodhi :D Its been years since I used a floppy drive now, although I do miss my LS-120 super drive!
The LS-120 did not seem to be around for long?
Zip drives seemed to win that battle.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
feckit said:
The LS-120 did not seem to be around for long?
Zip drives seemed to win that battle.

Yup, I can understand it really as 120MB is nothing now (CDRW's came down in price just months after it was released).

It was fun while it lasted though :D

Ask a Question