Floppy Disk installation

Ed Carey

I have Windows XP on HP laptop. I just tried to add new program from an old
Personal Roots Floppy Disk. Inserted in drive, ran startup and program
installed. When I go to open program I get "System Error" popup saying"
Divide by Zero or overflow error"
Completely confused as to what to do? Can anyone Help?

Ashokan Achari [MSFT]

Hi,

Right click on the program's icon and select Properties. Select
Compatibility tab and then below the 'Compatibility mode' section, click
the check box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select
the Operating system the program was designed for/was working in earlier.

This feature is provided so that the older programs developed for previous
version of Windows runs in current version.

Please visit the web link at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=
/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/compatibility_tab_and_wizard.asp?frame=t
rue

I have pasted the details from the website for your information.

Getting older programs to run on Windows XP
======================================
Most programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older
games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier
version of Windows. To run your program on Windows XP, try the following:

1. Run the Program Compatibility Wizard. As an alternative, you can set the
compatibility properties manually.
2. Update your program, drivers, or hardware.

These options are covered in detail below.

The Program Compatibility Wizard
=============================
This wizard prompts you to test your program in different modes
(environments) and with various settings. For example, if the program was
originally designed to run on Windows 95, set the compatibility mode to
Windows 95 and try running your program again. If successful, the program
will start in that mode each time. The wizard also allows you to try
different settings, such as switching the display to 256 colors and the
screen resolution to 640 x 480 pixels.

If compatibility problems prevent you from installing a program on Windows
XP, run the Program Compatibility Wizard on the setup file for the program.
The file may be called Setup.exe or something similar, and is probably
located on the Installation disc for the program.

To run the Program Compatibility Wizard
==================================
1. Start the Program Compatibility Wizard
2. Follow the instructions in the wizard.

Note
====
To start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help and
Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and
then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility
Wizard.

Set the compatibility properties manually
===================================
As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set
the compatibility properties for a program manually. The settings are the
same as the options in the Program Compatibility Wizard.

To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
1. Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the
Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for
your program.

Note
====
The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard
drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or
setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in
effect after you close the program.

For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click
the option and then click What's This.

Hope this helps ...... :)

Ashok (Ashokan Achari)

The Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

- - From: "Ed Carey" <[email protected]>
- - Subject: Floppy Disk installation
- - Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:34:13 -0400