firewire iBot & WebCamDV webcams w/ XP

Leroy

I saw this post and others but could not find an easy way
to reply. So I copied the below messages into my post.
I have two XP Pro computers.

One with a firewire iBot in which the camera works fine as
a webcam but crashs the audio/video wizard for MSN
Messenger video conferencing. This matches other posts,
which claim if you try enough times it will finally work
for video conferencing BUT I do not have that much
patience. (There is the chance that if you crash too many
times trying you might lose the registry, I have before.)

The other XP computer uses the the same company's WebCamDV
driver ($20 direct) for my firewire connected DV camera.
It is just the opposite with this one. The WebCam
settings page says the device is in use and does not see
the camera. While the audio/video wizard for MSN
Messenger video conferencing does see the camera if I
select it under a generic video device name. It all seems
odd.

Both cameras do produce a quality image in MSN Messenger.
I went with firewire to avoid the burden USB devices put
on the CPU.

Hope this is helpful.

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: firewire connection webcam
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger
Date: 2004-04-12 15:47:41 PST

Greetings,

Actually it all depends on what driver the webcam is
using. In most cases however, the
primary answer is no.

However, if you're using Windows XP, There are actually
two different video functions within
MSN Messenger 6.1. The first, the "Webcam" function,
which is tested by the "Web Camera
Settings" dialog, basically supports actual "Webcam"s
only. It does not support DV/firewire
cameras, digital cameras, or video card inputs. The
second, the "Video Conference" function
is tested by the Audio/Video Tuning Wizard, supports most
devices including DV cameras and
video card inputs and uses the same functionality as
Windows Messenger does.

As such, assuming both you and your contact are using
Windows XP, to use a firewire camera,
you'll need to open up a conversation window, click the
Actions menu, and then use the 'Start
Video Conference' option.

There are a few drivers that you can use to use the built-
in MSN Messenger "Webcam" function
with firewire camera. For example.
http://www.trackercam.com/DVdriver or WebCam DV:
http://www.orangemicro.com/webcamdv.html
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

UPDATE from the trenches. You must let the Messenger 6.2
audio/video wizard run for a very long time [it seems
like the computer has crashed] before it will recognize
the iBOT. Be VERY patient, it does eventually see the
iBOT -- left for dinner. However, Messenger
simultaniously disables the WEBCAM settings page, see
below.

My firewire iBOT on my second XP Pro computer is now
acting the same way as WebCam DV described below - see
below dialogue [there is no video capture card in the
second computer].

MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video wizard in XP finally
recognized the firewire iBOT for video conferencing.
However, now that the audio/video wizard has accepted the
firewire iBOT as the video source, the webcam settings
page has the same error message as WebCamDV [see
discussion below]: "You cannot change our camera
settings because either your camera is not plugged in to
your computer or you are using it in a video conversation
or with another program." This must be an undocumented
XP "feature" or Messenger "feature.".

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] ([email protected])
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger
Date: 2004-04-12 15:47:41 PST

[...]

.

Leroy

AND THE BEAT GOES ON
Pursuant to a web site post, the firewire iBot drivers
produce VFW format video and Orangeware does not make a
WDM driver for the iBot which may be why it does not
function in a video conference, just as a webcam.
WebCamDV is working well as either a webcam or for video
conferencing, provided I remember to select "Microsoft DV
Camera and VCR" before each session.

-----

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] ([email protected])
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger
Date: 2004-04-12 15:47:41 PST

[...]

SUCCESS!
I switched to the XP included driver for the iBot WebCam
rather than iBot's own driver. That fixed the inability
to make video conferences with the firewire iBot. I must
now manually focus but other than that MSN Messenger video
conferencing, as well as WebCam, now works VERY well with
the firewire iBot!

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] ([email protected])
Original Format
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger