Firewall / Advanced Tab

G

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2; Logged on as Administrator.

After installing SP2 I have been unable to access the firewall settings an error appears "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display windows firewall settings" This happens no matter which method I attempt to access the settings.

I have two network connections 1 for the internet and 1 for LAN, the same error appears for both, as the firewall blocked clients from accessing the server I have disabled the ICF service as a workaround (two other firewalls and a router still in place so still secure)

Removing SP2, deactivationg firewall and then reinstalling SP2 and then reactivating firewall may work, but I want to know if any one knows of a way to get the firewall settings to work without anything so drastic.

Had a similar problem a few weeks after installing XP Pro originally and I had to reinstall windows after all attempts to fix failed (even microsofts advise)

Any ideas?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

If you installed SP2 beta, then you should repost your question in
one of the SP2 beta newsgroups:

Welcome to Windows XP SP2 Technical Preview Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=xpsp2&slcid=us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2; Logged on as Administrator.
|
| After installing SP2 I have been unable to access the firewall settings an error appears "Due to an
unidentified problem, Windows cannot display windows firewall settings" This happens no matter which method I
attempt to access the settings.
|
| I have two network connections 1 for the internet and 1 for LAN, the same error appears for both, as the
firewall blocked clients from accessing the server I have disabled the ICF service as a workaround (two other
firewalls and a router still in place so still secure)
|
| Removing SP2, deactivationg firewall and then reinstalling SP2 and then reactivating firewall may work, but
I want to know if any one knows of a way to get the firewall settings to work without anything so drastic.
|
| Had a similar problem a few weeks after installing XP Pro originally and I had to reinstall windows after
all attempts to fix failed (even microsofts advise)
|
| Any ideas?

G

Hello

Also make sure all of the dependenciy services are running , admin tools and services ,

Regards

Carlos H.

T

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

S said:
Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2; Logged on as Administrator.

After installing SP2 I have been unable to access the firewall settings an error appears "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display windows firewall settings" This happens no matter which method I attempt to access the settings.

I have two network connections 1 for the internet and 1 for LAN, the same error appears for both, as the firewall blocked clients from accessing the server I have disabled the ICF service as a workaround (two other firewalls and a router still in place so still secure)

Removing SP2, deactivationg firewall and then reinstalling SP2 and then reactivating firewall may work, but I want to know if any one knows of a way to get the firewall settings to work without anything so drastic.

Had a similar problem a few weeks after installing XP Pro originally and I had to reinstall windows after all attempts to fix failed (even microsofts advise)

Any ideas?
Hi

Registering atl.dll and hnetcfg.dll might help.

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll

Ask a Question