Firefox is better than Opera IMHO

Franklin

On Sun 13 Mar 2005 04:59:20, wrote:
Not meaning to start a loyalty war, but just reporting my
experience from having just tried opera. I know I should perhaps
give it some time, but this alone should be telling! With
firefox I had no trouble at all, it's all there right from the
start, very easy and pleasant to use, and after a little time,
customizable to an extent that makes using any other browser for
even a slight period a considerable annoyance.

I often use Opera as my browser.

I installed Firefox a few weeks ago and I use it for the occassional
web page.

If I want to learn more about Firefox then what are the main
resources (websites or newsgroups) for information, tutorials, ad-hoc
help, problems, etc?

MLC

_Franklin_, lunedì 14/mar/2005:
On Sun 13 Mar 2005 04:59:20, wrote:

I often use Opera as my browser.

I installed Firefox a few weeks ago and I use it for the occassional
web page.

If I want to learn more about Firefox then what are the main
resources (websites or newsgroups) for information, tutorials, ad-hoc
help, problems, etc?

Forum:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Newsgroups:
These last two groups are carried by the secnews.netscape.com server, port
563 (SSL), free, without login nor password.

Usefull Links Collection:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=152

Many tips here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~firefoxfax/index.html

| On 12 Mar 2005 20:59:20 -0800, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
|

| >Not meaning to start a loyalty war, but just reporting my experience
| >from having just tried opera. I know I should perhaps give it some
| >time, but this alone should be telling!

for an interesting comparison between opera, firefox and IE .. worth a read.

http://www.scss.com.au/family/andrew/opera/firefox/

yes firefox gets there in the end.. once all the plugins are installed :-(

Toke Eskildsen

123 said:
Where are these options in Firefox? Are you running FF or
Mozilla?

FireFox with TabBrowser Preferences 1.1.1 and TabBrowser Extensions
1.12.204121803.

miskairal

123 said:
miskairal wrote:

Um, try using the latest version then and right-click any bookmark and
select "Sort by name" and you'll get them the way you want. :)
Well another hour and a half of downloading and I finally have 1.0.1
See, problem is, when you are on dialup you avoid new versions/updates.
Thanks

1

123

miskairal said:
Well another hour and a half of downloading and I finally have 1.0.1
See, problem is, when you are on dialup you avoid new versions/updates

True. When I had dialup I just did the downloads overnight while asleep.

Richard Steven Hack

However, I think that Opera is a much more polished program:
- Usable navigation with the keyboard, as opposed to tabbing around

That's what bothered me at first with FireFox - I am SO used to using
the letter Z key to go back in Opera.

So I hunted around and found the keyconfig extension for FireFox
which allowed me to remap the alt-left-arrow to the z key.

Problem solved.

Get it here: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/keyconfig

Also, Opera has a really serious trick that I do NOT see a way to do
in Firefox...it can *hide* the tabs you have open, so that you not
only have more window space, but casual observers passing by don't see
the tabs to gaming and porn sites you might have open.. *grin*....and
these invisible tabs are cycled thru by using the '1' & '2' keys,
again, under the left hand .

By trick do you mean minmizing or something else? Thanks. Miles

wexwimpy

If I understand what you are looking for there a extention you can get
for Firefox that will do hat you would like try
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox/
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/
you also might try a search at google or yahoo
try Tabbrowser Preferences or Tabbrowser Extensions,QuickTabPrefToggle
0.0.4
I hope this helps
By trick do you mean minmizing or something else? Thanks. Miles

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup."

Windy

Depending on how you define "zoom" , there are extensions for those.

But I recommend you stay with Opera, if you are not happy with firefox.

http://firefoxopera.blogspot.com/2005/02/first-words.html will help a
little also.

Seems to me that if you have to go and find all these scrips and plugin to
mimic Opera, then why not stay with Opera in the first p lace.
I am very happy with Opera, I found trying to find all these extra plugins
for Firefox was tedious so I stayed with opera myself. I also
think since everyone is going to Firefox, the virus/popup writers will
soon be including Firefox with Microsoft and Netscape.... Opera is
still kind of unworthy of their efforts. BTW, I even opted to pay for the
Registered version.
............Windy

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Seems to me that if you have to go and find all these scrips and
plugin to mimic Opera, then why not stay with Opera in the first
p lace.

If a user actually wants all the features of Opera, then I guess he
shouldn't switch to Firefox. I don't want all the features of Opera,
so I'm happy to have a browser that doesn't have a GUI cluttered with
stuff I don't want to use. I also don't want a browser that is also an
e-mailer and a chat client. I do keep an unregistered Opera around for
a couple of its features, mainly the built-in user style sheets.

Other than the design choice of having a lot of stuff built in, the
main difference I see between Opera and Firefox is that Firefox's
quirks mode (Gecko's quirks mode, really) renders more pages well than
Opera's. But for longtime Opera users, I doubt that's any reason to
switch.

Opera's a good browser, and I'm glad they've managed to stay afloat
despite IE's dominance. I hope they'll be able to keep it up now that
the viable freeware alternatives are gaining popularity.

1

123

Windy said:
since everyone is going to Firefox, the virus/popup writers will
soon be including Firefox with Microsoft and Netscape

It's not that black-and-white. Many viruses for IE exploit ActiveX,
which Firefox simply doesn't have. You can't affect something if it
doesn't have a feature to exploit. ;) Similarly, IE relies on
"zones" to block "bad" sites, but any virus can add a "bad" site to
a "good" zone if it wishes. Again, Firefox has no such zones so
can't be affected by such viruses. Firefox all the way, baby! :)

Aaron

Windy said:
Seems to me that if you have to go and find all these scrips and
plugin to mimic Opera, then why not stay with Opera in the first p
lace.

Probably true, but you might like some of the features of firefox
(mentioned by Q for instance) and yet want to keep some of the Opera
features so that page might be useful.

Windy

It's not that black-and-white. Many viruses for IE exploit ActiveX,
which Firefox simply doesn't have. You can't affect something if it
doesn't have a feature to exploit. ;) Similarly, IE relies on
"zones" to block "bad" sites, but any virus can add a "bad" site to
a "good" zone if it wishes. Again, Firefox has no such zones so
can't be affected by such viruses. Firefox all the way, baby! :)

Is Opera vunerable to viruses that are aimed toward IE? I thought that
the viruses were written for certain browsers..
whew! I guess I am learning something today,..... Thanks

1

123

Windy said:
Is Opera vunerable to viruses that are aimed toward IE? I thought
that the viruses were written for certain browsers

Generally: no. Opera and Firefox are much safer than IE. Any ActiveX
viruses can NOT affect Opera or Firefox at all -- they can only affect
IE. And disabling ActiveX on IE is not the answer: other viruses can
simply re-enable it again.