From: "Rob Devereux" <[email protected]>
Subject: Finding the SUS Server
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:32:03 -0800

If I do not want to use group policies on Windows Clients
to point them to the new SUS Server as opposed to the
Microsoft Windows Update page, which registry key do I
need to change to alter location?

Rob
---

Rob,

For the location you need to modify the values WUServer and WUStatusServer in the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

However, there are additional registry values you will want to set. I would suggest you read the "Configuration Options in a
Non-Active Directory Environment" section of the "Software Update Services Deployment White Paper" which you can
download from the webpage below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susdeployment.mspx

One other suggestion, assuming your clients are Windows 2000 or Windows XP, would be to use Gpedit.msc and the
Wuau.adm to set the settings with a local policy on a test system. Then once you have verified that this works you can
export the settings from this machine and use the REG file to import the settings on other systems.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.