Finding Jumper Settings For Older Drives

Franc Zabkar

I've been searching for the manual and jumper settings for a Quantum
Atlas10kII SCSI drive and the best I could find were the following:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/8848p/Jumpers.htm
http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Drives/qatlas10kii.htm

Can anyone direct me to any sites where I may find these settings, or
jumper settings (and manuals) for older drives in general?

Try the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org

SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:
http://web.archive.org/web/20001016222233/www.quantum.com/support/hdd/hdd_support_scsi.htm

This is Quantum's original support page for your model:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010208002153/www.quantum.com/support/hdd/atlas_10kiiw_scsi_support.htm

- Franc Zabkar

Searcher7

Try the Wayback Machine:http://web.archive.org

SCSI Hard Disk Drive Support:http://web.archive.org/web/20001016222233/www.quantum.com/support/hdd...

This is Quantum's original support page for your model:http://web.archive.org/web/20010208002153/www.quantum.com/support/hdd...

- Franc Zabkar

I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
getting one of my systems to see this drive.

Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
a master or slave?

I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Arno Wagner

I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
getting one of my systems to see this drive.
Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
a master or slave?

The concept of master or slave does not exists in SCSI. You have
an SCSI ID for every device (including the controller) and every
device is allowed to initiate a buis transfer. Typically
only a controller does, but you hav have several controllers in
one bus as well. This is no el-cheapo bus as (S)ATA, it is closer
to a LAN in some respects.
I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???
I am using an LVD/SE Ultra2 SCSI cable that is terminated.

SCSI setup is tricky. What exactly does the initial message show?

Arno

Floyd63

Searcher7 wrote in news:90a48f38-f3e3-4a45-8b19-78d0acb389f6@u18g2000pro.googlegroups.com
I've gone through those sites, and unfortunately I'm no closer to
getting one of my systems to see this drive.
Perhaps the six pairs of pins have no effect on whether this drive is
a master or slave?

And neither does the '14 pairs of pins'.

The 12-pin connector is for a cabinet switch and LED cable assembly.

The SCSI ID jumpers are on the 28-pin jumper row.
I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

What 'Set-up'?

Floyd63

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
The concept of master or slave does not exists in SCSI. You have
an SCSI ID for every device (including the controller) and every
device is allowed to initiate a buis transfer. Typically only a con-
troller does, but you hav have several controllers in one bus as well.
This is no el-cheapo bus as (S)ATA,

Like that SATA is an El Cheapo bus. It's also a SCSI bus.
it is closer to a LAN in some respects.

Now there's El Cheapo.
SCSI setup is tricky.

No, it isn't.

Mike Tomlinson

s.com> said:
I added a SCSI card to the PC and the drive (model number TY18L011)
drive model number briefly shows up on the very first screen when the
BIOS is loading, but it is not found in Set-up. ???

If you're referring to Windows Setup, you need to use the F6 procedure
(press F6 when prompted) and insert a floppy containing drivers for your
SCSI card. Windows Setup will then find the drive and allow you to
continue with installation.