Find/replace format with variables

Reaction score
I have searched all over for an answer to this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a simple answer.

I need to change the font color of lines in a document. The problem I have is that there are many lines that nearly repeat, with a couple variables. Currently, I search for the portion of the line that is constant throughout the document, and reformat each line individually. Very time consuming. Here is an example for the concept of the type of lines I need to reformat:

Jim sold chairs and made 125 dollars.
This sentence doesn't need to change.
Mary sold tables and made 130 dollars.
Ron sold curtains and made 95 dollars.
(etc.)

I want it to look like:

Jim sold chairs and made 125 dollars.
Mary sold tables and made 130 dollars.
Ron sold curtains and made 95 dollars.
(etc.)

I need to change the font color of the lines with data in them, without changing the lines in between. The variables are the names at the beginning of the sentence, the items (chairs,tables and curtains - there are many more in the document) and the numbers (which can be anything between 1 and 5000). Each document may have over 1000 lines of data, so going line-by-line is incredibly tedious.

I understand how to search with wildcards, but I cannot figure out how to replace with a variable, so as to not change the data, just the color of the text.

I hope I explained my dilemma sufficiently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question