Excel Find length of side of triangle in Excel

JSK

Reaction score
Hi i am Jo

would need help in finding the length of the third side of a triangle in excel

I have three points number: AB- 235 BC- 156 need to find length AC - it's not a right angle triangle,

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Jo.

Having the length of two sides of a triangle isn't enough to calculate the length of the 3rd side, for a non right-angle triangle. You'll also need to know one of the angles.

JSK

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Jo.

Having the length of two sides of a triangle isn't enough to calculate the length of the 3rd side, for a non right-angle triangle. You'll also need to know one of the angles.

Thanks Iain for getting back/
Iain and i am trying to format it in Excel, isn't it possible based on the chart where it has an X and Y axis too

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean unfortunately - can you please take a screenshot of the problem, as that may help me see what you're trying to achieve :).

JSK

Reaction score
I have drawn lines in excel, any options in excel where it can evaluate the axis and evaluate the length of the third side.
Eg: if i draw the same line in the piece of paper it's easy. anything possible in excel.

Attachments

• 3 POINTS.PNG
    3 POINTS.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 102

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What's the X axis measurements? It just says 1,2 and 3 - which I guess isn't a real value (or is it)? Your "triangle" has lines that cross almost 200 units on the Y axis, but only 1 or 2 units on the X axis.

Is this data coming from cells somewhere?

JSK

Reaction score
i have got the data in excel and have drawn a line chart, and need to find the line "AC"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know what A, B and C are - it's just numbers. AB is the difference between A and B, but isn't the line length on that graph you've drawn, it's just the difference in height. Same for CB.

If you can explain where you've got this from, I may be able to help.

JSK

Reaction score
Ian
EG: DJI daily data the analysis formulates the base high /low and buy /sell prices
setting targets and stop loss. the base high low is flowing in a triangular format, to analyse it better I am after the third line. attached is the pic . its very good I believe

Attachments

• DJI.PNG
    DJI.PNG
    838.2 KB · Views: 142

JSK

Reaction score
the previous one has not been formalised? this is the correct one

Attachments

• DJI.PNG
    DJI.PNG
    750.5 KB · Views: 148

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry @JSK, I'm not sure how to do what you're asking as don't see how it's possible to calculate the numerical length with that information - it may be worth asking some traders, as it sounds fairly specific to that. Sorry I can't be of more help.

JSK

Reaction score
Thank Ian for your time and reference. I was thinking more from the maths point of view, doesn't matter stocks or just normal length. :)

Ask a Question