Finally got my MAC lol

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have been going to leave Coms ever since they announced they would be discontinuing their email hosting. Other stuff kept getting in the way, so I've dithered a bit.... until now.

This morning I took the plunge and requested a MAC code... then received it within an hour or so. Wow, glad to get rid of us former ADSL24 customers, or what? :lol:

Anyway, I've just signed-up with Zen for their FTTC package, which includes telephone. It should provide 60+ mbps download, and 19 mbps upload, which sounds very zippy.

Don't know the date of the migration just yet, Zen are going to let us know when the OpenReach guy will be visiting.

I have to say that I'm so far impressed by the helpfulness of Zen's personnel, so looking forward to making the switch. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Way to go gal, as our Transatlantic cousins would hold forth :)

As I have often spouted off about, I have been with Zen since March 2003 which in itself must give an idea of what I think of their service.

One little mentioned advantage of Zen and a few other independent ISP's, presumably, is that when the Government or whoever gives a directive to ISP's to block sites of the Government's choosing and it's not legally enforcable, Zen will ignore the directive.

Unlike Virgin, BT, TalkTalk, Sky and all the other sheep.

And no throttling either.

Good luck!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Sir Floppington :D

I have to say that I felt impressed by the staff in Zen's CS. They were very helpful, both online, and over the 'phone. Never sounding "scripted" or bored... if you know what I mean? (Wasn't too impressed by their counterparts at the other ISPs I tried.)

Yeah, I agree with you regarding independent ISPs. It seems to me that Zen have built up a very good name and are well-respected. Also, I've always had much better service from ISPs such as Clara.net and latterly, ADSL24, than we had from a couple of other very large companies.

Forgot to mention, I ordered a new router from them too, it's a NetGear WNR2200. They said they would configure it before sending it out. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
At last!!!! :D

What speeds were you getting with ADSL24?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
At last!!!! :D

What speeds were you getting with ADSL24?

Speeds recently (with Coms) have averaged up to 6 Mbps download - 0.60 Mbps upload with a Ping of 15 ms. (Having our internal telephone wiring updated, improved the download speed, which was previously averaging about 4 Mbps.)

It used to be around 5 Mbps with ADSL24.

Heheheh... I think we're going to find FTTC quite speedy by comparison :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thought so, Wow, you're in for a treat! :cool:

Just remember, once you've had fibre you cant go back....

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We've just been notified that our Fibre installation date will be 22nd Sept. Yay! :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gosh, Zen don't hang about do they... the new router has just been delivered. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well, the sooner you are onboard, the sooner they get your ... money. :)

Reaction score
Lucky you TC we can only get BT or Vfast here, BT is useless takes 1/2 hour to download a short email but Vfast I do get about 15mpps not as good as Virgin I used to have before we moved but adequate:).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Our long-awaited switch to Zen is scheduled to happen this coming Monday 22nd. I'm not sure what time our old provider will cut us off. Hopefully, not until the actual switch, but maybe it will be from midnight, or something(?)

Hopefully, things will go smoothly... however, I'm the cautious type and like to keep an open mind. The OpenReach appointment (to install the fibre modem) is supposed to happen during the PM, but I don't know how accurate their time-keeping is likely to be. (Some forum posts elsewhere, have indicated that they're quite likely to turn-up much earlier... or, at the very last minute.

Anyway, as I understand it, OpenReach only connect the fibre modem, the router has to be configured by the user. In anticipation of that, I have made lots of notes to (try to) ensure I get it right. The instructions look straightforward enough... so with crossed fingers and a following wind, hopefully we won't be internetless for too long.

We don't currently have any other way of getting online - such as smartphone, tablet, etc., hence my reason for the copious note-taking.

If you don't see me dropping-by PCR, it might be that something has gone horribly wrong. It's really daft, but I actually feel a bit nervous lol.

Reaction score
Our Fibre upgrade by OpenReach took about 20mins in the house.
And then the same time at the BT junction box across the road.
Should be painless TC even in Wales!:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I can put your mind to some ease as I have had some considerable experience with OpenReach techs. :)

I have always gotten a phone call off the tech guy himself prior to calling at my door ... this makes perfect sense to me ... I hope they do the same in Wales. They won't need to call on you if your not in. :thumb:

He will connect the modem. He will leave a bit of kit attached to your line and go do "the box" bit. He will come back and test the line, and, get his 'kit' and probable leave. Never had one take up the offer of a cuppa

Configuration? plug the router in, if tech guy didn't done do it for you, turn it on, wait for the lights to stop flashing, turn on PC ... use the tinternet.

Sorted! :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I have always gotten a phone call off the tech guy himself prior to calling at my door ... this makes perfect sense to me ... I hope they do the same in Wales. They won't need to call on you if your not in. :thumb:
Oh I think it would be a tad expensive to be out... they will charge £90 if they're unable to obtain access. :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I upgraded to fibre recently and had the BT fella fit the modem, he did phone first and he was covered in tattoos, not that tattoos are any indication of character of course, oh no... (I hate tattoos ;) ).

I recall I did actually have some difficulty in connecting and I phoned Zen support (061 number not an 08 number) and they checked it out with BT.

One hour later I was connected, I never did know what the problem was but I do know our local BT exchange is archaic, it's been troublesome in the past.

The Asus Dark Knight router that V_R recommended was largely self-configuring, worked like a dream, although I did make a few tweaks to it afterwards.

As for being offered tea or coffee if I'm visiting a customer for whatever reason, I always refuse, one doesn't know what standards that fellow has, does one? ;) Besides, I don't drink tea and rarely drink coffee except at morning time. Now, if I was offered a sealed bottle of mineral water/coke/black grape/lucozade/Orangina that's something I would really appreciate.

Tea? Coffee? It's an ingrained English/British thing methinkls ;)

Good luck El Taffo, let us know what you think of your new service :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I upgraded to fibre recently and had the BT fella fit the modem, he did phone first and he was covered in tattoos, not that tattoos are any indication of character of course, oh no... (I hate tattoos ;) ).
Not really a fan of tattoos either tbh. Some of the artwork can undoubtedly be "good" but... heck, what happens when the "canvass" loses it's - er - tone and becomes saggy... (Might work if it's Munch's "The Scream" I guess...?)

I recall I did actually have some difficulty in connecting and I phoned Zen support (061 number not an 08 number) and they checked it out with BT.

One hour later I was connected, I never did know what the problem was but I do know our local BT exchange is archaic, it's been troublesome in the past.

The Asus Dark Knight router that V_R recommended was largely self-configuring, worked like a dream, although I did make a few tweaks to it afterwards.
Sounds like Zen were on-the-ball with that, glad you were up-and-running again so quickly.

I've gone with another Netgear router. (It seemed like a good plan to stick with something I am familiar with. Zen have a helpful-looking "how to set-up your Netgear fibre connection" webpage, so I've copied the instructions, just in case it doesn't auto-configure.

I'll probably stick with hard-wiring for now.

As for being offered tea or coffee if I'm visiting a customer for whatever reason, I always refuse, one doesn't know what standards that fellow has, does one? ;) Besides, I don't drink tea and rarely drink coffee except at morning time. Now, if I was offered a sealed bottle of mineral water/coke/black grape/lucozade/Orangina that's something I would really appreciate.

Tea? Coffee? It's an ingrained English/British thing methinkls ;)

Good luck El Taffo, let us know what you think of your new service :)
I can understand your viewpoint Sir Floppington and, when anyone calls to carry out work here, we usually offer them a choice of hot or cold drinks.

Yes, I'll be sure to report back on the new service once we're hot-to-trot again :D

Reaction score
Relax TC take some cat nip, get hubby to rub your feet & chill out!:thumb:
All will be fine even in welsh wales!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
TBH it dont matter what router you have, they all work much the same, Its 99% personal preference. :)

Though Asus FTW... :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just received the call from the Openreach chappie... da-da-daaAAH! :D

Ask a Question