Windows 7 Filename too long...???

Reaction score
Hi,
I am having new problem with "filename too long"......

When i am moving folders into my 2TB harddisk, den suppose i move 700 mb of data with 717 mb remaining.....

Then dis "Filename too long" appears and I press "skip"......

Now, I rename the files in original folders, n den try to copy again, den instead of more than 17 mb remaining it shows 2mb remaining......

I check my harddisk and remove folders with same name as in original folders......
still 2mb remaining......

Can't copy files....

Puzzled, plz help......

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's probably a file within a folder. All you can do is find the culprit(s) and rename them to a shorter title.

Finding them will be the fun part though, it can be a llaborrious process, unless somebody here knows a short cut.

Try copying over one folder at a time until you find the one(s) that won't transfer. Then open up the folder and search for long file names and rename them to something shorter.

If still not working then copy over each file (rather than folder) individually until those causing trouble are found and renamed.

Reaction score
Hi,
Earlier did the same as you wrote......
The problem is with the memory space being consumed, without the file being actually copied.....
I mean i thoroughly went through the folders and files inside them, n could not find the file with long name.....
Still the space was consumed....

PLz help.....:confused::confused::confused:

Ask a Question