File transfer options over a secured internet connection?

G

Hello

I would like to get a "big picture" idea of the options available for transferring files to and from a w2k domain over a secure internet connection

Here is my situation: I am connecting to the internet using my own computer (winXP) from within a secured campus network. The campus network permits at least standard internet traffic. From this connection I would like to securely transfer files to and from a windows 2000 domain located in my home. For example, using my computer on the campus internet connection I would like to open a file that is shared on the home domain, edit the file, then save it back to the domain. Based on my experience and the replies to my earlier posts, I am growing increasingly discouraged that this is possible at all.

Basic FTP is not an option due to its lack of security. VPN sounds like a possible solution. However, after configuring VPN on the server and client I was unable to connect from the campus internet connection. I am new to VPN. I presume a VPN connection requires permission of some sort from the campus network administrator. My attempt to use Webfolders (windows WebDAV) encountered the same authentication problem. One person suggested terminal services, but does this enable file transfers in the manner described above

I can succesfully establish remote desktop sessions with my home domain from the campus internet connection. This leads me to suspect there should be *some* secure way to transfer files over that same connection. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, personal experience, or especially your own list of options available for transferring files to and from a w2k over a secured internet connection

Thanks

Kerry

J

Jeff Cochran

I would like to get a "big picture" idea of the options available for transferring files to and from a w2k domain over a secure internet connection.

Client copies from server, or to server. Or is that too big a
picture? :)
Here is my situation: I am connecting to the internet using my own computer (winXP) from within a secured campus network. The campus network permits at least standard internet traffic. From this connection I would like to securely transfer files to and from a windows 2000 domain located in my home. For example, using my computer on the campus internet connection I would like to open a file that is shared on the home domain, edit the file, then save it back to the domain. Based on my experience and the replies to my earlier posts, I am growing increasingly discouraged that this is possible at all.

It's extremely possible and done every day on millions of systems.
Your problem is that you can't do it the way you want to on the campus
network.
Basic FTP is not an option due to its lack of security.

What lack of security? You said you were transferring over a secure
connection. If not, Secure FTP is an option if you need end-to-end
encryption, or use a VPN.
VPN sounds like a possible solution. However, after configuring VPN on the server and client I was unable to connect from the campus internet connection. I am new to VPN. I presume a VPN connection requires permission of some sort from the campus network administrator. My attempt to use Webfolders (windows WebDAV) encountered the same authentication problem. One person suggested terminal services, but does this enable file transfers in the manner described above?

It does, but again, your problem isn't the method, it's your campus
security. And nothing we can help you with, since we don't manage
your campus security. Have you taken the advice previously posted and
asked them?
I can succesfully establish remote desktop sessions with my home domain from the campus internet connection. This leads me to suspect there should be *some* secure way to transfer files over that same connection. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, personal experience, or especially your own list of options available for transferring files to and from a w2k over a secured internet connection.

There are plenty. What does your campus security setup allow you to
do? What ports and protocols will pass though your campus firewall?
And when will you be calling them to ask?

Jeff

G

Thank you for helping me understand where the problem lies. First I needed to determine that Windows supported the internet file transfer requirements described in my post. You answered that point.

I now understand the next step is to contact the persons in charge of firewalls and security for my campus, which I have zealously been trying to do for the past few days with little success. My campus IT beuarocracy is very large and convoluted. Because they are not obligated to be informed on all the details of proprietary windows networking, I wanted to get a strong understanding of my particular situation and gather as much information about my requirements as possible prior to consulting with the campus network security staff

I am dissappointed in the general tone of many replies in this forum to my initial inquiry. I don't see the justification for such extended sarcasm. This was a genuine area of uncertainty for me but most responses consisted primarily of condescending exclamations of the glaring security oversights I was perpetrating. I want to thank the individuals who took the effort to post helpful and informative replies.

Ask a Question