B

Brent Broaddus

I have a Win 2K pro laptop and I just bought a Win XP pro
Desktop. I am having trouple connecting the two computer
via a crossover ethernet cable. I have the desktop
connected to the internet with the intgraded card, I
bought a 2nd network card to run the crossover cable on
the desktop. The crossover cable is connected to my
laptop via the networkcard built into my docking station.
Both computer have been assigned to the same workgroup,
but they do not see each other at all. Suggestion on how
to get these to computers to talk to each other so I can
transfer my files from one to the other.

S

Steven L Umbach

Verify that they are on the same network. For instance configure the tci/ip addresses
of one to be 192.168.0.5 and the other to be 192.168.0.10 , both with subnet masks of
255.255.255.0. Make sure that the there is not a software firewall enabled or built
in firewall enabled on either one when attempting to transfer files. Of course if a
software firewall is protecting you from the internet, you would want to disable
internet connection first. Then try to ping each computer from each other as in "
ping 192.168.0.5 " to see if you get a response. If you do you should be able to
share files, after you create a share or use the built in administrative share as in
c$ assuming you are accessing the computer with administrative credentials. Use
lusrmgr.msc on both computers to create an identical user account with exactly the
same logon and password. Make sure you use a password. By default XP Pro will not
allow network access from an account without a password. Also disable simple file
sharing in the XP Pro computer if you do not want to use it. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Ask a Question