file permissions override file permissions

G

It is stated that file permissions override folder permissions, e.g even if I have no acccess to the folder I should be able to access a file in it if I have access to it. All you have to do is enter the UNC or local path.
Well I simulated this by creating a folder and then placing a file in this folder. I created a user that had read permission for the file and no permission for the folder. I then shared to folder. The user could access the file through the share (in a workgroup environment) by using the UNC. But the user could not access it locally by using the local path, got an access denied. For experiments sake, I put another folder in previous folder then placed a file in the new folder. I gave the user access to both the new folder and file. Then he was able to access the new file using the local path. Can someone please explain this to me.

Ask a Question