file manager won't sync properly

G

I have the latest FP2003 and I imported a site created on another computer with FP2002, from a remote server.

Then I made some modifications to just a few text files using Notepad and tried to publish the site back to the server, but the files wouldn't go. I noticed that the file modified date as shown in FP didn't jibe with that shown in Windows Explorer.

Refreshing the file folder view in FP didn't work. I had to move the files to a temp folder and then move them back, all within FP. Then the file dates were correct and I was able to publish those files. I'm pretty sure FP2002 didn't have this bug.

Also after publishing, some files in the local pane have the blue arrows and the status shows unmatched, in both panes, yet publishing won't resolve that. Shouldn't FP ask me if I want to overwrite the server files?

Thanx... Jeff

G

One more thing...

For the files that won't publish as I mentioned below, with the blue arrows and have unmatched status, the only apparent difference in the files on the server and the local copies are the author. When FP imported these files it changed the author to: ROAD-S3C77XC1FS\Administrator. Strange...

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Does the remote server have the FP extensions? If so you should have open the site and then publish
to your local machine, made your changes and then published back.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Jeff said:
I have the latest FP2003 and I imported a site created on another computer with FP2002, from a remote server.

Then I made some modifications to just a few text files using Notepad and tried to publish the
site back to the server, but the files wouldn't go. I noticed that the file modified date as shown
in FP didn't jibe with that shown in Windows Explorer.
Refreshing the file folder view in FP didn't work. I had to move the files to a temp folder and
then move them back, all within FP. Then the file dates were correct and I was able to publish
those files. I'm pretty sure FP2002 didn't have this bug.
Also after publishing, some files in the local pane have the blue arrows and the status shows
unmatched, in both panes, yet publishing won't resolve that. Shouldn't FP ask me if I want to
overwrite the server files?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

That is because you imported instead of publishing. Importing doesn't maintain any configuration
info, include pages, themes, shared borders, etc.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Jeff said:
One more thing...

For the files that won't publish as I mentioned below, with the blue arrows and have unmatched
status, the only apparent difference in the files on the server and the local copies are the author.
When FP imported these files it changed the author to: ROAD-S3C77XC1FS\Administrator. Strange...site back to the server, but the files wouldn't go. I noticed that the file modified date as shown
in FP didn't jibe with that shown in Windows Explorer.then move them back, all within FP. Then the file dates were correct and I was able to publish
those files. I'm pretty sure FP2002 didn't have this bug.unmatched, in both panes, yet publishing won't resolve that. Shouldn't FP ask me if I want to
overwrite the server files?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If you always use the publishing function and not the import function then FP will maintain the info
about each file. The problem is that you use import which didn't doesn't include that info. To sync
your site, open the live/remote site and publish back to your local.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Jeff said:
I did publish the entire site after importing it and making some changes. Apparently there's a
bug in the file system. I should be able to make changes in a file and FP should recognize and
update the file modification date, but it doesn't. It also shouldn't change the author but it did,
and it won't properly sync with the server files even after a complete publish operation. Oddly, if
I publish just one file from local to the server, it likes it and removes the unmatched status, but
then if I publish the whole site again, it reverts back to unmatched.

Ask a Question