File copy question

rcm

My Problem: I copy files from a CD to my hard disk. Files copy with
correct original date and time. File folders are created new so they have
the current date and time of the copy process. Same problem with any copy
of folders or move. I find that the default copy options is stupid because
of this.

Question: How do I retain the date and time intact on the copy?

My software: Windows 98SE. Windows Explorer. Powerdesk 5.

Can Win Explorer do it? PowerDesk ? Any other utils (freeware). I prefer a
GUI interface so XXCOPY command line does not interest me. Also, it would
be nice to copy and change read only attributes at the same time.

PS I find in Win 98 SE, if I copy a lot of files the system gets slow after
a time. real slow. I researched this in Google and tried various tips but
never got this problem fixed. I have know of this problem for years and
have tried more than once to resolve it. It doesn't matter which tool I use
(win Explorer, Powerdesk), they all suffer from some FAT16/32 Windows 98 SE
bug. Anyone truly resolve this problem. Or should I go to Win 2000 or XP
and use NTFS.

I know that you said you didn't want a command line program but you have
xcopy installed within Windows, and it will do what you want. By default
xcopy resets the read only attribute.

Trey Hunner

rcm said the following on 3/7/2004 11:12 AM:
[...]

I found this VB script. It works nicely. If you don't have vb then
have someone compile it for you.
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.ASP?SearchString=xcopy&ID=2509

If you don't like this I suggest searching in google for "free vb code"
and then searching in one of the websites you find for xcopy and finding
a gui that uses this.

omega

rcm said:
My Problem: I copy files from a CD to my hard disk. Files copy with
correct original date and time. File folders are created new so they have
the current date and time of the copy process. Same problem with any copy
of folders or move. I find that the default copy options is stupid because
of this.

Question: How do I retain the date and time intact on the copy?

My software: Windows 98SE. Windows Explorer. Powerdesk 5.
[...]

It's an OS+FS limit. It's only with NT/W2K/WXP, on FAT, where you can
have the original directory dates preserved when you do copying.

I've a nice chart, from an ACF thread called "Preserve source directory
timestamps." Not sure, but I assume it to apply even if the source is
another file system, eg cdfs (that it's destination type only that applies).

<quote>
| With regard to the timestamp manipulation, various versions
| of Windows behave somewhat inconsistently. The following
| chart gives you the summary.
|
| OS Environment Operation Behavior
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| DOS FAT File timestamps can be set/changed
| DOS FAT Dir timestamps cannot be changed
| DOS NTFS not accessible
|
| Win9X/ME FAT File timestamps can be set/changed
| Win9X/ME FAT Dir timestamps cannot be changed
| Win9X/ME NTFS not accessible
|
| WinNT/2K/XP FAT File timestamps can be set/changed
| WinNT/2K/XP FAT Dir timestamps can be set/changed
| WinNT/2K/XP NTFS File timestamps can be set/changed
| WinNT/2K/XP NTFS Dir timestamps cannot be changed
| -------------------------------------------------------------
</quote>

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=8637ed5e6cb3402e&rnum=1

Btw, I note that on my w98+FAT, /moving/ a directory, within the same
partition, that preserves the original date. And that, then again, a move
operation cross-partition, it writes a new date.

Very messy behavior set...

Bjorn Simonsen

omega wrote in <[email protected]>:

<snip useful chart>

Nice chart, thanks. I have not explored what win2k/ntfs (as I have)
will or will not allow, if a tweak exists or not to enable, but my
shareware file manager TCMD (Total Commander) has an option to allow
this. So when copying (or moving) it aslo copies the date/time
attributes of the source dirctory, and sets the target the same. Works
just fine, use it all the time. Unfortunately I have not explored this
option in any the freeware file manages I have tried, but I would
guess at least some (at least one?) of the freeware ones must have
thought about and implemented this "feature" too.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

omega

rcm said:
PS I find in Win 98 SE, if I copy a lot of files the system gets slow after
a time. real slow. I researched this in Google and tried various tips but
never got this problem fixed. I have know of this problem for years and
have tried more than once to resolve it.

When I had this slowdown problem, it was due to having set a limit in my
system.ini [vcache] section that was too low. Chances are small that you
have the same cause, but making mention just in case.
It doesn't matter which tool I use (win Explorer, Powerdesk), they all
suffer from some FAT16,/32 Windows 98 SE bug.

I think there could be cause to be a little suspicious about the level of
standards MSFT held itself to when writing the w98 vcache.vxd
Anyone truly resolve this problem.

I cannot report that I have the problem, on my w98 + msie55 system. I'd
have to be given some sort of specific test to check.

And these days, there /might/ be even less chance I'd see the problem
manifest on its own due to a couple of habits. That I often use a sendto-
deltree, instead of recycle bin. Second, have lately been developing the
habit of doing even casual copies with xxcopy bats, when it's a lot of data,
instead of explorer mouse actions. Not sure if that improves performance,
or makes no difference, though definitely /feels/ cleaner.
Or should I go to Win 2000 or XP and use NTFS.

Your considering it must mean you have the right hardware specs already.

Significant advantage of w98: It's so amenable to being very compact, very
tight, both in files and registry.

Main advantage(s) of w2000: Performance, such as not being restricted to
that mean scrooge w9x resources allowance. (+ you get an expanded array
of customization options. + a much improved commandline processor. + ...)

omega

Bjorn Simonsen said:
omega wrote in <[email protected]>: [...]
| Win9X/ME FAT Dir timestamps cannot be changed
| WinNT/2K/XP FAT Dir timestamps can be set/changed
| WinNT/2K/XP NTFS Dir timestamps cannot be changed
| -------------------------------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=8637ed5e6cb3402e&rnum=1
Nice chart, thanks. I have not explored what win2k/ntfs (as I have)
will or will not allow, if a tweak exists or not to enable, but my
shareware file manager TCMD (Total Commander) has an option to allow
this. So when copying (or moving) it aslo copies the date/time
attributes of the source dirctory, and sets the target the same. Works
just fine, use it all the time.

The original text of that artcile, before that chart was put forth, it went
like this:

| XXCopy's file and directory I/O operations are always performed
| within the confine of what the underlying OS environment provides
| via the standard Win32 file I/O API. Therefore, the behavior
| of XXCopy reflects the behavior of the OS environment.

I should think that TCMD, like any such file manager, would also use this
"standard Win32 file I/O API." ??

So, now I'm left not knowing how to interpret why there is an outcome that
does not fit into how I read the situation.
Unfortunately I have not explored this option in any the freeware file manages
I have tried, but I would guess at least some (at least one?) of the freeware
ones must have thought about and implemented this "feature" too.

Curious....

omega

Significant advantage of w98: It's so amenable to being very compact

The image that just came to my mind. XP as a big two-ton RV.
Inextricably loaded with microwave and tv and satellite, et al.
And w98 as one's motorcycle. Simple to store and move. Happy to
take the back roads (the older hardware). Polish the chrome once
in a while, and find to have even developed an affection for it...

Roger Johansson

omega said:
Btw, I note that on my w98+FAT, /moving/ a directory, within the same
partition, that preserves the original date. And that, then again, a move
operation cross-partition, it writes a new date.

I am not sure if I understand your question/confusion over Bjorns reply but
I just used TC to move a small directory from my D disk to my C disk, and
the date/time of the directory was preserved.

I also moved it to my E disk, which is on another physical hard disk, and
it was still preserved.

I set the option to preserve date/time of directories in TC before I did
this. I use vfat32 on all partitions and I am running win98 first edition.

Susan Bugher

judgement on compact varies - depends on whether you are looking up
(from 3.1) or down (from XP) :)
The image that just came to my mind. XP as a big two-ton RV.
Inextricably loaded with microwave and tv and satellite, et al.
And w98 as one's motorcycle. Simple to store and move. Happy to
take the back roads (the older hardware). Polish the chrome once
in a while, and find to have even developed an affection for it...

then perhaps . . .

WIN 3x -> motor scooter
DOS -> bicycle

Susan

Roger Johansson

Susan Bugher said:
WIN 3x -> motor scooter
DOS -> bicycle

Linux -> Flying saucer, strange, probably high performance, another world
technology. It will take us years to pick it apart and find out how it
works and learn how to use it.

Bjorn Simonsen

omega wrote in said:
The original text of that artcile, before that chart was put forth, it went
like this:

| XXCopy's file and directory I/O operations are always performed
| within the confine of what the underlying OS environment provides
| via the standard Win32 file I/O API. Therefore, the behavior
| of XXCopy reflects the behavior of the OS environment.

I should think that TCMD, like any such file manager, would also use this
"standard Win32 file I/O API." ??

I am not a programmer, I do not know the names of the various Win32
API functions, nor do I know the inner workings of TCMD - in other
words I don't know:),- but my guess is yes. As in yes TCMD probably
uses the standard file i/o functions of the Win32 API, same as the
XXcopy author talks about. But it does something in addition, it
copies the date/time stamp of the source (before copying the folder)
and writes this to the target folder (after creating folder in target
location). This is most likely all done via the API, as everything
else, it just calls some other/different functions (before/after) in
addition to the standard copy/move functions.

From TCMD help file:
Copy date/time of directories
Allows to copy the 'last modified' timestamp of a directory.
Warning: On Windows 2000/XP the time stamp of a directory may
change when files are changed in that directory!

This is probably no more stange than you doing the same from a batch
file with the help a few utilities - like touch, before/after having
copied some folder. :)

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Kan Yabumoto

Question: How do I retain the date and time intact on the copy?

My software: Windows 98SE. Windows Explorer. Powerdesk 5.

Can Win Explorer do it? PowerDesk ? Any other utils (freeware).
I prefer a GUI interface so XXCOPY command line does not interest me.

<snip>

You may look into KopyMate which provides a GUI front end to XXCOPY
so that those who do not feel comfortable in DOS Box operation
would not be intimidated by XXCOPY's required operating environment.

http://www.kopymate.com

Kan Yabumoto

Kan Yabumoto

<snip>

You may look into KopyMate which provides a GUI front end to XXCOPY
so that those who do not feel comfortable in DOS Box operation
would not be intimidated by XXCOPY's required operating environment.

http://www.kopymate.com

Kan Yabumoto

This is just a clarification:

I forgot to explain what KopyMate is in relation to our product, XXCOPY.
I'm the author of XXCOPY. Since we are still very busy making XXCOPY
better for what it is designed for (a traditional command-line program
with an extremely large set of switches for an ultimate versatility),
we just do not have time to offer a GUI-based product which has the
functionality of XXCOPY (at least not yet).

We have been approached by many individuals who want to design a
GUI-front end for XXCOPY. Most such projects don't take off beyond
some initial discussions. (We are aware that there are many companies
which develop their own GUI front end for XXCOPY (typically written in VB)
for internal use.) Since our XXCOPY-Pro is a commercial product which
charges a fee for a site license, we offer some mutually agreeable
terms to third party developers for the use of XXCOPY-Pro that is
to be packaged with their commercial products.

KopyMate is just one such effort by a third party which went all
the way to a product with its own web page (and its price tag).
Other than our occasional acknowledgement that KopyMate exists
and it is a GUI-front end product for XXCOPY, we do not actively
promote KopyMate. It is not our (Pixelab) product. The people
who work for KopyMate should speak for the product. I believe any
product of this nature should speak for itself.

All the inquiries about KopyMate should be made to its developer.

Kan Yabumoto
The author of XXCopy

mel

(e-mail address removed) (Kan Yabumoto) wrote in message
The people
who work for KopyMate should speak for the product. I believe any
product of this nature should speak for itself.

The author of XXCopy

Hi, I'm Mel David, the developer of KopyMate. KopyMate is a GUI
product that directly invokes XXCOPY to do its work. The advantages
of KopyMate are that commonly used XXCOPY commands can easily be
composed using KopyMate's various menus to select the required
switches and arguments. KopyMate also facilitates the creation and
maintenance of batch files containing XXCOPY commands. KopyMate is
available for free as a standalone version. For network operations,
the purchase of a license is required.

For the occassional user of backup commands or for a new user to
XXCOPY, KopyMate is an invaluable tool. Try it out. It's free.

Go to http://www.KopyMate.com and download it today.

Good Luck,

Mel David, developer of KopyMate