File Associations

G

I created a file association that I don't want. I do not want windows to associate any program with this file. Unfortunately, once you make an association windows makes you choose another program to associate it with. Is there any way to unassociate this file ??? The file type is .cap and it is not listed in the registry or under registered file types.

G

Gary Smith

BIKE GUY said:
I created a file association that I don't want. I do not want windows to associate any program with this file. Unfortunately, once you make an association windows makes you choose another program to associate it with. Is there any way to unassociate this file ??? The file type is .cap and it is not listed in the registry or under registered file types.

Open a command prompt Windows and type

assoc .cap=

G

I did this and it said: "File association not found for extension .cap". However, this file is still associated with whatever program that I used to open it with the last time.

G

Gary Smith

BIKE GUY said:
I did this and it said: "File association not found for extension .cap". However, this file is still associated with whatever program that I used to open it with the last time.

I don't know how a file type can be associated without making an entry in
the registry. Did you search the entire registry? What program is
involved here?

G

When I ran find this is what came up: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Explorer Bars/ --there is a character string in this space-- /FilesNamed MRU/Name:"ab"icon 000 Type:REG-SZ Data: .cap...

G

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you should be able to go into File Types, under Folder Options, and simply delete the file association for the CAP extension. Hope that helps.

G

Gary Smith

BIKE GUY said:
When I ran find this is what came up: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Explorer Bars/ --there is a character string in this space-- /FilesNamed MRU/Name:"ab"icon 000 Type:REG-SZ Data: .cap...

That's a search history thing and doesn't have any connection to file
associations.

G

Gary Smith

BIKE GUY said:
The program in Procomm Plus.

I have an older version (Procomm Plus 32, 1997, no version number). When
I turn on file capture, it creates a .cap file, but there is no file
association. When I double-click on the file, I get the Open-with box. I
don't see any way to create a file association without making some entry
in the registry.

Ask a Question