Field will not shrink.

Frank Martin

I have an "address" field in a report which
sometimes contains no data.

I have set the "can grow" & "can shrink"
properties to *yes* but all I get is a blank
space on the report, whereas what I want is
for the fields to bunch up against one
another vertically.

Please help, Frank

Rick Brandt

Frank said:
I have an "address" field in a report which
sometimes contains no data.

I have set the "can grow" & "can shrink"
properties to *yes* but all I get is a blank
space on the report, whereas what I want is
for the fields to bunch up against one
another vertically.

Please help, Frank

Are there any controls to the sides? A control will only shrink if there is
nothing next to it that does not also shrink.

Marshall Barton

Frank said:
I have an "address" field in a report which
sometimes contains no data.

I have set the "can grow" & "can shrink"
properties to *yes* but all I get is a blank
space on the report, whereas what I want is
for the fields to bunch up against one
another vertically.

A control can shrink without the section shrinking. This
can be seen (as an experiment) if you set the control's
BorderStyle property to Solid or set its BackColor to
something other than white.

Rick mentioned one reason why the section might not shrink,
but another common reason is because you forgot to set the
section's CanShrink property.

Frank Martin

Thanks for the replies.

The was a subReport next to the control in
question and which I relocated, and this
solved the problem.

But I thought that subReports were not meant
to effect the canshrink/grow property of
adjacent controls?

Is there any property in the subreport which
can effect the canshrink property?

Regards, Frank

"Marshall Barton" <[email protected]>

Marshall Barton

Frank said:
The was a subReport next to the control in
question and which I relocated, and this
solved the problem.

But I thought that subReports were not meant
to effect the canshrink/grow property of
adjacent controls?

They don't affect the property. But, the ***section*** can
not shrink unless **all** the controls in a horizontal
"band" shrink.

Perhaps another way to think about it is that can shrink
does not cause a report's controls to "move up". It causes
the section to compress empty horizontal "bands" that remain
after all the controls have shrunk.

Frank Martin

wrote in message
They don't affect the property. But, the
***section*** can
not shrink unless **all** the controls in a
horizontal
"band" shrink.

Perhaps another way to think about it is
that can shrink
does not cause a report's controls to "move
up". It causes
the section to compress empty horizontal
"bands" that remain
after all the controls have shrunk.

We live & learn.
Thanks