FBA Application Error

MS Embedded Newsgroup

After moving my build to the target, the initial boot seems to work well
enough until the FBA starts. During the Installing Components phase I get
the following error: fba.exe - Application Error - 'The instruction at
"0x01ba1c7c" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be
"written".'

The target system includes XP Pro on the first hard drive and I am
attempting to boot from a second IDE hard drive which has been formatted for
storage.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Joe Morris [MS]

Sounds like the target device ran out of memory and trying to access virtual
memory which has not been enabled. You need to add page file support. By
default there is no pagefile in an XP Embedded runtime. You can add support
for this by checking the configurable settings in your HAL component.

Dave

I have modified the Pagefile settings but this does not get me past the
problem. Can anyone think of any other possible solutions? I have tried to
boot from both hard drives and have tried some reformating of the second
hard drive including some different partitions.

Thanks again
Dave

--
Joe Morris [MS]

MS Embedded Newsgroup said:
After moving my build to the target, the initial boot seems to work well
enough until the FBA starts. During the Installing Components phase I get
the following error: fba.exe - Application Error - 'The instruction at
"0x01ba1c7c" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be
"written".'

The target system includes XP Pro on the first hard drive and I am
attempting to boot from a second IDE hard drive which has been formatted for
storage.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Brad Combs

Dave,

Attach the FBA log file located (on the target) at c:\windows\fba\fbalog.txt
to this thread. That will give us some more insight.

HTH,

Brad Combs
Imago Technologies

MS Embedded Newsgroup said:
After moving my build to the target, the initial boot seems to work well
enough until the FBA starts. During the Installing Components phase I get
the following error: fba.exe - Application Error - 'The instruction at
"0x01ba1c7c" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be
"written".'

The target system includes XP Pro on the first hard drive and I am
attempting to boot from a second IDE hard drive which has been
formatted
for
storage.

Thanks in advance
Dave

KM

Dave,

Your FBALog.txt indicated you set incorrect windows directory in TD.
Just to confirn, go to your project TD settings and check the folder
settings under "Target Device Settings".
Since you are attempting to load XPe from a second drive, most likely your
settings should look like:
Windows folder="D:\Windows"
Program files folder="D:\Program Files"
Documents and Settings folder="D:\Documents and Settings"

Not sure about your second drive directory structure but it seems you are
using D:\xptest\Windows dir, right?
If so, either include \xptest\ to your windows folder path or move the
Windows\ under the root.

KM
Sorry,
I meant to include this with the last post but now attached is the FBA log.

Dave

Dave said:
I have modified the Pagefile settings but this does not get me past the
problem. Can anyone think of any other possible solutions? I have
tried
boot from both hard drives and have tried some reformating of the second
hard drive including some different partitions.

Thanks again
Dave

Sounds like the target device ran out of memory and trying to access
virtual
memory which has not been enabled. You need to add page file
support.
By
default there is no pagefile in an XP Embedded runtime. You can add
support
for this by checking the configurable settings in your HAL component.

--
Joe Morris [MS]

"MS Embedded Newsgroup" <microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded> wrote in
message After moving my build to the target, the initial boot seems to
work
well
enough until the FBA starts. During the Installing Components
phase
I instruction not
be

Slobodan Brcin

Dave,

I have responded to this type of questions few times in last month, you can
use google if you need answer.

This drive order is in your Windows 2000 or Windows XP OS but it is not same
for XPe.

Read following link there is more that enough info to understand your
problem:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/embedded/community/tips/xp/runtimepartition
..asp

Regards,
Slobodan

Dave said:
KM,
I noticed that myself after sending the log. So now my TD settings are:

E:
E:\WINDOWS
E:\Program Files
E:\Documents and Settings
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
1024
4096

My target consists of two IDE Hard Drives, a CD Drive and Floppy.
A: Floppy
C: 1st Hard Drive
D: CD Drive
E: 2nd Hard Drive - 1st Partition (FAT32)
F: 2nd Hard Drive - 2nd Partition (NTFS)

The attached FBALOG.txt indicates that it is looking for D:\WINDOWS not E:
and this is where I am now stumped. Why does FBA expect WinDir to be D:?

Again, Thanks to all.
Dave

"Dave" <microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded> wrote in message
[...]

rights

"MS Embedded Newsgroup" <microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded>
wrote
in
message After moving my build to the target, the initial boot seems to work
well
enough until the FBA starts. During the Installing Components phase
get
the following error: fba.exe - Application Error - 'The
instruction
at
"0x01ba1c7c" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory
could
not
be
"written".'

The target system includes XP Pro on the first hard drive and

KM

Dave,

Slobodan is right and you may not want to trust your XP Pro machine drive
order to be the same in your XPe build.
Most likely, you do not have the CD Drive support in your XPe image and
that's why FBA is looking for D:\WINDOWS not E:.

Try changing Target Device Settings to use
D:\WINDOWS
D:\Program Files
D:\Documents and Settings
Or use Slobodan's approach to change runtime partion info.

Btw, you seemed to mention that your boot drive set to E: in the Target
Device Settings?
I believe (if you run XP Pro from C: and don't have a custom boot loader) it
should be set to C:.

Hope this help,
KM
KM,
I noticed that myself after sending the log. So now my TD settings are:

E:
E:\WINDOWS
E:\Program Files
E:\Documents and Settings
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)
1024
4096

My target consists of two IDE Hard Drives, a CD Drive and Floppy.
A: Floppy

KM said:
[...]

Dave

Well, that finally worked for me, I think. I actually had it boot one time.
Thanks for getting me past that hurdle.

Now, after the one boot, I added a component, the Windows XP Explorer User
Interface macro if memory serves, and things have gone hay-wire.

Now, during FBA I get one of two things. Right at the start of FBA I get
either an "isass.exe system error - security accounts manager initialization
failed because a device attached to the system is not functioning." Or I
get an FBA message that states Resetting Setup Flag. This message box seems
to stay longer than it should (couple of seconds) before the machine
reboots.
In both cases, if I try to boot back into the XPe partition, I get a blue
screen. Both issues produce the same FBALOG.txt (attached)

I have rebuilt the image from scratch to the point of it's one good boot (no
new components). But still these two issues remain.

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave

Sorry,
I did some back tracking and discovered an incorrect PID. So now I have a
functioning embedded build.

Thanks again to everyone and I'm sure to hit you guys up for more.
Dave

KM said:
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no
rights

"MS Embedded Newsgroup"
wrote
in
message After moving my build to the target, the initial boot
seems

KM

Dave,

Sorry to seeing your message too late - could save you some time by quick
reply :)
The message "[FBASetProductKey] Invalid product key" from your FBALog.txt
indeed indicated you used incorrect PID number.

Glad you solved you problem,

KM said:
[...]

A: Floppy