Faxing in Outlook 2003

srm

I've been using O2002 and WinFax 10.02 for faxing. Works fine in
which I can select one or multiple people to send faxes from within
Winfax using the Outlook address book.

I just went to O2003 and in reading it seems Winfax does not work with
O2003. Is that true? If it is true, does O2003 have fax capability
similar to WinFax. I have WXP which also seems to include some
faxing. However, will I be able to select a set number of contacts in
O2003 and merge them into separate faxes (one template fax) to send
like I do with WinFax.

thxs

srm

srm

Russ:

Thanbk you.

srm

Russ Valentine said:
As far as we can tell, WinFax Pro is not and will not become compatible with
Outlook 2003. Outlook 2003 will integrate with its new Internet Fax service
and with Windows 2000 and Windows XP Fax just the same as Outlook 2002:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/winxpfax.htm
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/win2000fax.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
srm said:
I've been using O2002 and WinFax 10.02 for faxing. Works fine in
which I can select one or multiple people to send faxes from within
Winfax using the Outlook address book.

I just went to O2003 and in reading it seems Winfax does not work with
O2003. Is that true? If it is true, does O2003 have fax capability
similar to WinFax. I have WXP which also seems to include some
faxing. However, will I be able to select a set number of contacts in
O2003 and merge them into separate faxes (one template fax) to send
like I do with WinFax.

thxs

srm

srm

I earlier replied saying thanks for the info. I appreciated. I just
tried faxing using WinFax 10.02 with O2003 and it seems to work OK.
What limitations will I run into?

srm said:
I've been using O2002 and WinFax 10.02 for faxing. Works fine in
which I can select one or multiple people to send faxes from within
Winfax using the Outlook address book.

I just went to O2003 and in reading it seems Winfax does not work with
O2003. Is that true? If it is true, does O2003 have fax capability
similar to WinFax. I have WXP which also seems to include some
faxing. However, will I be able to select a set number of contacts in
O2003 and merge them into separate faxes (one template fax) to send
like I do with WinFax.

thxs

srm

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Take a look here. There is an update now available from Symantec:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256d2800806650?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

srm said:
I've been using O2002 and WinFax 10.02 for faxing. Works fine in
which I can select one or multiple people to send faxes from within
Winfax using the Outlook address book.

I just went to O2003 and in reading it seems Winfax does not work with
O2003. Is that true? If it is true, does O2003 have fax capability
similar to WinFax. I have WXP which also seems to include some
faxing. However, will I be able to select a set number of contacts in
O2003 and merge them into separate faxes (one template fax) to send
like I do with WinFax.

thxs

srm

srm

Thank you for the information.

srm said:
[...]

PaulAlex

Okay, I got Winfax 10.00 working on my Outlook 2003 WinXP machine
without it hanging either app.

Only problem is, it doesn't actually link to my phone books. The
configuration indicates that it is, but it isn't. I guess that's a
trade-off between no integration with Outlook phonebooks, or Outlook
or Winfax freezing upon launch.

srm said:
[...]

You'll need to ask Symantec.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
PaulAlex said:
[...]

That's fine; I can certainly appreciate that this is a Symantec issue
-- no problems with that.

I guess I was asking for a sanity-check. That is, is this the expected
behavior after employing a workaround. I was curious if other users in
this newsgroup ended up with the same results of not having Outlook
phonebook integration.

I just started trying the native WinXP faxing. I may switch to this,
as it certainly does the basic job.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I was just pointing out that you won't find much traffic in this group from
users of WinFax Pro. There used to be, but it hasn't really worked well with
current versions of Outlook for so long that most people looking for a fax
solution that integrates with Outlook have given up. You never know, though.
Maybe someone will stroll by.

PaulAlex

Well, after a lot of blood, sweat and tears, I managed to get Winfax
10.0 (note: not 10.02) working with Outlook 2003 with integrated
phonebook functionality. The only thing that does not work is the
ability to read Winfax logs from Outlook. But that certainly is
livable. (Just go to WinFax Messenger to read the receive/send logs.)

So for any Winfax users who may have given up on this, take heart; it
is possible to get this working. :)

Matt

There is a new version of Winfax version 10.03 that is supposed to work w/o
problems. From what i heard you can call Symantec tech and they will send
you winfax 10.03 w/o charging you the tech fee they only charge shipping
(think it's $10) and little side note is i don't htink you techincally have
to "own" the program.

PaulAlex

Their tech support doesn't ask you for a serial number or product code
for your already existing Winfax product?? That means that Joe Blow
off the streets could drop a dime in a phone booth and for only $10
could have 10.03 mailed to them. That would be cool :)

What I don't understand is supposedly the only difference between
10.02 and 10.03 is the modification of one or more DLL files. If that
truly is the case, Symantec could have made this available on their
web site for download, and we could manually replace the DLL files in
question.

Or at least they could have developed a patch program to do this
automatically...

Lately, I played around with the built-in faxing capabilities of
WinXP. It's actually not too bad. Although I've been using Winfax
since version 2.0, I don't use a lot of its features (I just do the
basic faxing). And since the built-in WindowsXP fax integrates with
Outlook's Contact list and also keeps send/receive logs, Symantec
really needs to justify their price of Winfax, which I personally
believe is a tad too high in today's market.

Matt

All you do is call the tech dept... Tell them you have WinXp w/ WinFax 10.02
& Outlook 2002 or 2003 i said 2003. And that you get freezing when
attempting to use both, the logs didn't work and problems with the address
book, tell them that you recently uninstalled the program. They will make a
note to your account and send you a cd for $9.95, mine is coming in the mail
by next week. And it's the FULL VERSION no upgrade. i don't understand why
there doing it either but they are... No serial # or anything asked...

Good luck! !

PaulAlex said:
Well, after a lot of blood, sweat and tears, I managed to get Winfax
10.0 (note: not 10.02) working with Outlook 2003 with integrated
phonebook functionality. The only thing that does not work is the
ability to read Winfax logs from Outlook. But that certainly is
livable. (Just go to WinFax Messenger to read the receive/send logs.)

So for any Winfax users who may have given up on this, take heart; it
is possible to get this working. :)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:10:33 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"

I was just pointing out that you won't find much traffic in this group from
users of WinFax Pro. There used to be, but it hasn't really worked
well
with
current versions of Outlook for so long that most people looking for a fax
solution that integrates with Outlook have given up. You never know, though.
Maybe someone will stroll by.

PaulAlex

Thanks!

PaulAlex said:
[...]

Check out Symantec article
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/faxprod.nsf/docid/2001110911391704.
Although this article was written for 10.02 and Outlook XP, it worked
for me, and I have Winfax 10.00 and Outlook 2003.

(I should also point out that this article was not needed when I used
Winfax 10.00 and Outlook XP -- I was lucky that a simple install of
both products resulted in 100% functionality.)

Now for each user, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). What worked for me
may not necessarily work for you.

If you're not familiar with the steps used in Symantec's article, or
you you feel uncomfortable doing those steps, I would very strongly
suggest backing up your system and/or having a computer friend assist
you with this. You may want to create a System Restore Point prior to
doing these steps.

One thing to pay particular attention to in that article is to stop
the Winfax service (assuming you had it installed beforehand) when it
says to. I had <cough> missed that step the first time I did these
steps and of course, nothing worked as it was supposed to.

Michael D. Henderson

Only the DCCDA32I.DLL is different between 10.02 and 10.03.

--
Michael Henderson
(e-mail address removed)

Remove 'goduke', if not spam