FaxComEx

Reaction score
I have written an Active X dll under VB 6 for use within an ASP application. The environment the dll sits on is server 2003 STD (IIS 6). The issue I am having is that when the DLL is called from the ASP page it will fire up notepad.exe (I am testing with a text file) but just hang with notepad open. The dll works fine when I just send out a cover page only. I have created a new app pool with a user who has full admin rights over the hosting box, but still the same result. I have found 4 -5 of posts over the internet posted within the past few years with my exact same issue and all end with no solution. I have been banging on this dll for more then three weeks now with just this one issue and I think my brian is fried. Any advie would be greatly appreciated as I think this is some form of rights issue but not to the file structure it seems. It may have something to do with the local policy possibly. Once again thanks.

Reaction score
I was able to resolve this issue finally. I ended up creating a new app pool for the asp site, started the user out with admin rights which addressed the issue. I just pulled back rights after that. Text files work perfectly now. Now my new issue is even though with that user there are no initial pop ups with word, I can not send word docs. The winword.exe pops up but now it just sits there and hangs.

Ask a Question