Favicons disappearing from Desktop

M

MPS

Hi all,

I searched this group first to find my problem. Many Icon problems but not this one, it seems.
Vista Home Premium, 2Gb, Duo Core, 2.0Ghz. Plenty of disk.
I am using Maxthon Browser, which uses the engine of IE7.

On my desktop (widescreen ;-)) I keep an on-going 60-80 URL-links for researchwork.
Either created from "Create shortcut" from within my Maxthon Browser or using its TAB "Send To:
Desktop" feature; almost same thing.
An icon with the website's logo is then placed on my desktop for easy access.

Recently, after each startup, the link's still there but the icon/logo is missing, so just default
identical pics with my text.
This is most itrritating and is slowing down my research-work.

Renew desktop does not help; neither does delete iconcache.db and have it rebuilt.
I've also observed that if I navigate to a site for which the favicon isn't shown and navigate to
the site again, then the favicon *is* shown.

I had saved a recent iconcache.db (with working URL-link-logo's) and simply replaced it. No joy.
I then used VISTA TWEAK MANAGER
Utility Icon Manager,
second tool "Repair Icons", section "Icon Thumbnail -- Sometimes explorer doesn't display the icon
file thumbnail, click"
and Hey Presto, back they are.

What is wrong?
Apparently this icon behaviour is known to the makers of Vista Tweak Manager adn they have a cure,
albeit temporary.

If this Tool recognizes this and knows howto do the job, can we not alter a setting of some kind to
keep me from repairing?

Looking forward to your suggestions,
Maria

M

MPS

Ex_Brit said:
Try right-clicking an empty spot on the desktop and selecting
View/Classic Icons and see if that helps.

Or....see this article:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88790-how-harvest-restore-retain-icons-vista.html

--
Ex_Brit

::*-Peter-*::
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP3 & Vista Ultimate SP1
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD

Thanks Ex_Brit for your suggestions.

I had seen the Vista64.com website and have used it many times for all kinds of funny Vista
problems, with success, great site.
However, this problem it does not cure.
My Icons are always on Classic = small as I need many of them on my 22" widescreen.
I tried to change back and forth but no joy.
In fact just now I again tried all SIX steps again from the article but alas.

Also I ran FavOrg which will elegantly double-check and recreate icons on my Favourites.
Not on my desktop however.
As I have most of my current icons on the desktop I hardly use Favourites anymore besides, Maxthon
Browser allows for Grouped Tabs which are very helpful to organise activities and research topics.

BTW: When I use IE7 standalone the same behaviour is present.

Again I reverted to my Vista tweak Manager to Repair Icons which works as described.

My thoughts were that if the makers can provide a repair or workaround by pressing a button, why
could we not do that ourselves on a permanent basis?
Apparently the icon's data is sitting there but not applied properly.
Why?

Maria

Ask a Question