    get notified about Windows updates, this supposedly
    originated from Microsoft. Can anyone confirm that this
    was a phony notice ?

    maddie, Feb 9, 2004

  2. maddie

    Guest Guest

    Yes it is fake.
    Microsoft will never send you anything thru email or
    popups for updates or the such.
    If you click on the link or run the files attached you
    will get a virus/trojan/spyware.

    Guest, Feb 9, 2004

  3. maddie

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. My instincts told me to ignore it

    Guest, Feb 9, 2004
  4. Greetings --

    Don't just ignore it! Block the security hole that allowed the
    bogus message onto your system in the first place.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the year or so, and
    unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates
    that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to
    the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised by these
    specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit, you may
    well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that recently
    swept cross the Internet. Install and use a decent, properly
    configured firewall. (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some
    people recommend, only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing
    to truly secure your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with"
    the security gap represented by these messages is particularly
    foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    HOW TO Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673

    If you decide on a 3rd party firewall product, whichever firewall
    you decide upon, be sure to ensure UDP ports 135, 137, and 138 and TCP
    ports 135, 139, and 445 are _all_ blocked. You may also disable
    Inbound NetBIOS (NetBIOS over TCP/IP). You'll have to follow the
    instructions from firewall's manufacturer for the specific steps.

    You can test your firewall at:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=GPVHGBYNCJEIMXQKCDT

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you: