Fair exchange...

B

BWL

I know this isn't concerning a home-built PC, but I thought maybe home PC builders would have excellent knowledge of PC cards & components, not to mention they're kind and generous nature... :)

I recently got dell to agree to replace my 6 month old system (8250), after numerous tech house calls, etc. Being they don't make 8250's anymore, I'm getting an 8300 chassis. Problem is, I'm worried that they're actually sending me a serverely downgraded PC, as opposed to an even exchange. While almost all components are different models, these are the ones I'm really wondering about:

1) Original - ATI Radeon 9700TX 128MB DDR Video Card
Replacement - GeForce FX5200 128 MB(NV34)

2) Original - Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Sound Card
Replacement - Soundblaster Live (SB0203)

3) Original - 512Mb 1000Mhz RDRAM
Replacement - 512Mb 400Mhz DDR SDRAM

(As far as the RAM goes, I don't think they even sell RDRAM anymore, but it was much more expensive, at the time, than SDRAM.)

Of course, Dell calls it a fair exchange.
If anyone knows about these cards/components, please let me know if these are actually upgrades, downgrades, or even exchanges (which they're supposed to be).

Thanks alot for any help.

---BWL---

P

Peter Cavan

Hi
The graphics card is quite a severe downgrade, even today the 9700 would be
worth more than £150, the 5200 is worth about £60. Dunno about the
soundcards, and even thought the DDR memory MIGHT be slower, it would be
much better if it came to adding more (DDR is cheaper and more widely
available)
Hope this helps
PC

V

\(\) |V| 3 G A

I know this isn't concerning a home-built PC, but I thought maybe home PC builders would have excellent knowledge of PC cards & components, not to mention they're kind and generous nature... :)

I recently got dell to agree to replace my 6 month old system (8250), after numerous tech house calls, etc. Being they don't make 8250's anymore, I'm getting an 8300 chassis. Problem is, I'm worried that they're actually sending me a serverely downgraded PC, as opposed to an even exchange. While almost all components are different models, these are the ones I'm really wondering about:

no where near. http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-04.html
as you see, the radeon 9700 (non-pro) is 158fps, the FX 5200 is not shown, but it is slower than the GF4 Ti4200 (equiv to the gf4 ti4200 is the fx5600 - just the fx has dx9 capability)
see if you can get an ATI DX9 card. there *alot* better than the nvidia offering atm.

this is more of personal taste. a bit like i far prefer videologic sound cards vs creative labs. my videologic was £50 UKP, SBLive £150 or so. even with that price difference i`d opt for the videologic.
neither the TB or CL are bad cards - there just different. i`d say it's fair exchange

(As far as the RAM goes, I don't think they even sell RDRAM anymore, but it was much more expensive, at the time, than SDRAM.)

the replacement ram is the fastest offically rated speed - pc3200. JEDEC have not release offical specs for pc3500/3700/4000. i`m not too sure where you stand here. RDram is no more afaik, only RIMMs and DDRs now (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/Products.ASP?CatID=22) the 1ghz bus speed is untouchable atm (rimm is 800mhz's, DDR is 400mhz) so as long as your recieving 512mb (as per original spec) i`m not sure how you could get anything else.
however, you might try to persuade them to give you some performance DDR stuff - low CAS ratings - maybe corsair XMS, OCZ etc as they will still cost less than the RDram.

If anyone knows about these cards/components, please let me know if these are actually upgrades, downgrades, or even exchanges (which they're supposed to be).

---BWL---

S

spodosaurus

BWL said:
I know this isn't concerning a home-built PC, but I thought maybe home
PC builders would have excellent knowledge of PC cards & components, not
to mention they're kind and generous nature... :)

I recently got dell to agree to replace my 6 month old system (8250),
after numerous tech house calls, etc. Being they don't make 8250's
anymore, I'm getting an 8300 chassis. Problem is, I'm worried that
they're actually sending me a serverely downgraded PC, as opposed to an
even exchange. While almost all components are different models, these
are the ones I'm really wondering about:

I'll let others comment about the sound cards and RAM, but this is a
massive downgrade for the video card. Do not accept it.

HTH,

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person
on the recipient list. Visit www.marrow.org or call your local Red Cross
and ask about registering to be a bone marrow donor.

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

D

DaveW

They're cheating you on the graphics card. The FX 5200 is the ENTRY level (lowest) that nVidia now produces. You should be getting at least an FX 5600.

--
DaveW

---BWL---

B

BWL

Thanks everyone. To no avail, though. I tried to explain this to the Dell techs, but was either told that (a) the FX5200 was actually an upgrade, or (b) it's the only graphics card compatible with the new system, or (c) this is what you're getting. Period. Too bad. (depending on which broken-english-speaking flunky I talked to.)
I've been a huge Dell fan for almost 10 years, and this is the 4th Dell I've bought (3 for me, 1 for my son).
But no more. They aren't even a shadow of what they were only 3 years ago.
Guess I'll have to build my next PC, or go Apple...

---BWL---

Ask a Question