FaD Temp' Problem

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry folks but I'm not crunching at the moment ... not untill I can sort out the temps on this thing. :(

Now I have a 'temp monitor' (even have the local weather forcast) installed it even made me nervious at how high it is ... running 46c idle & 56c under FaD. :rolleyes:

Me brother will be bringing me home a selection of HSF from the computer show today, well this evening, and I'll see which looks as though it will do a better job than the stock cooler in there at the moment ... probably needs a good clean-out anyway too. :D

Hopefully be back running sometime tomorrow ... :thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
FaD works very well in colder climates, no wonder those Russians cruch so much. Warmer climates (ambiant temp in room around 28 and higher is a serious drawback. If temperatures in the room are no more than 22 Deg C FaD can run unattended. This is based on an Intel CPU so if it is an AMD processor the temp needs to be lower by around 5 Deg C, AMD is not a good option in warmer climates. My observations are based on stock coolers but with additional fan and a PCI turbo case exhaust fan.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I wish FAD would build in a limiter - say use any CPU usage up to xx%. So you could work it at 80% if it is too hot, still do loads of units but keep your CPU a bit cooler!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I think many back off due to temp problems, just imagine how many would be added for crunching if a limiter like that is incorporated. I don't know why they have not done it till now I am sure they must be aware of this problem.

Reaction score
My temps are OK AMD Athlon 2600+ CPU running at 2.5 Ghz room temp 22c
But I wish Fad would upload all the results:rolleyes: I would not be at 15th in the team more like 10-12 th ho well win some loose some:D

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name ASRock K7S8X / K7S8XE / K7VM2 / K7VM4 / K7VT4-4X / K8Upgrade-760GX

Temperatures
Motherboard 28 °C (82 °F)
CPU 46 °C (115 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 4299 RPM
Chassis 2083 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.62 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.87 V
+12 V 12.22 V
+5 V Standby 4.90 V

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Temperatures:

CPU 74 °C (165 °F)

Hitachi HTS541080G9AT00 35 °C (95 °F)

:eek::eek::eek:

Is this what you call normal? By the way these figures are for my IBM T43 Laptop

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Temperatures:

CPU 74 °C (165 °F)

Hitachi HTS541080G9AT00 35 °C (95 °F)

:eek::eek::eek:

Is this what you call normal? By the way these figures are for my IBM T43 Laptop
Who are you quoting ... :confused:

Hey ... how the heck do you get the superscript 0 ... and you though I knew everything. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well these figures are directly taken from the report of Everest Home edition which is installed on the laptop

What superscript? That is a good cut and paste job :p

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Well these figures are directly taken from the report of Everest Home edition which is installed on the laptop

What superscript? That is a good cut and paste job :p
It is a 'typesetters' term for this ° ... you just copied & pasted that one, oh, right ... use any word-processor and you can 'Super' or 'Sub' script characters. :D

Must find out how to do it on a forum ... WYSIWYG thingies on the forum does not always work. ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
It is a 'typesetters' term for this ° ... you just copied & pasted that one, oh, right ... use any word-processor and you can 'Super' or 'Sub' script characters.

You really think I didn't know about superscript and subscript? ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This got me interested to see what my temps were. All socket A machines, all crunching FAD, ambient room temp around 75F/24C.

System One:
XP3200 CPU/Gigabyte Pro 3D Cooler
Lian Li PC61 case, stock 80mm fans replaced with:
At front: 2 x Vantec Stealth, protective mesh removed
Rear and roof: 2 x Pabst medium Flow fans
CPU Temp: 49C System Temp: 40C

System Two:
XP2400 CPU/Zalman Flower cooler with Antec 92mm fan mounted on bracket
Lian Li PC61 Case with 4 x stock 80mm fans
CPU Temp: 49C System temp: 40C

System 3:
XP3200 CPU/Thermalright SI 97 cooler with Vantec 92mm fan
Antec Sonata case with two x medium flow 120mm fans
CPU Temp: 50C System temp 33C

System 4:
XP1700 CPU/Gigabyte Pro 3D cooler
Antec SLK300B case with 2 x Antec 120mm fans
CPU Temp: 51C System temp: 35C

Interesting to note that both Lian Li cases don’t give a very good system temp, but I’m happy with all CPU temps, no instability suffered at all.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
You really think I didn't know about superscript and subscript? ;)
tongue.gif

Floppy ... them are good temps ... I have been running a lot lower, so I think it may just need a good vacume out, but as my Brother is bringing a selection of HSF and I'll need to open the case anyway, why not fit a better one.
thumbsup.gif

stuart.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

Could it be that because you have adequate vetilation in terms of cooling that is why your temps are lower?

If those fans are not installed and you had to depend only on what is standard cooling on the system the temps would be higher? Yes? No?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Flops,

Could it be that because you have adequate ventilation in terms of cooling that is why your temps are lower?

If those fans are not installed and you had to depend only on what is standard cooling on the system the temps would be higher? Yes? No?

Most certainly yes.

I've found the case itself can make a huge difference to cooling. And of course the fan configuration.

As ever, it's a compromise between temps and noise. Of all the cases I've listed, the Antec Sonata is definitely the quietest, you'd barely know it was switched on.

In that case I have the Thermalright Socket A SI-97 cooler with a Vantec 92mm stealth fan. That helps keep the noise down as well.

Cooling/db's can very often be a case of trial and error, in my experience.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
While researching stumbled upon some useful info so created another thread

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2201048.php
Nice find Quad. :thumb:

I'm concerned over mine because they have risen by nearly 10c since the system was built. It's only because of the Temp 'toy' that I noticed ... I still would like max load to be under 50c though ... it used to be. ;)

Ask a Question