EZ Anti Virus

When I boot my pc I get 2 messages from the user account control regarding
the EZ anti-virus software. I checked the manaul how to allow these programs
to run without confirmation (properties of the .exe, compatiblility, run this
progrmn as administrator checked), but still the messages. What do I need to
do to get rid of these messages ?

Scott

Erik Snijders said:
When I boot my pc I get 2 messages from the user account control regarding
the EZ anti-virus software. I checked the manaul how to allow these
programs
to run without confirmation (properties of the .exe, compatiblility, run
this
progrmn as administrator checked), but still the messages. What do I need
do to get rid of these messages ?

1. Are you referring to EZ Trust Anti-Virus (Computer Associates)

2. Are the dialogs asking you to enter the administrator password?

I'm using the same software and I'm being asked for password (twice) every
time I log on.

I'd say it's annoying but that's an understatement.

I'm glad that Microsoft is getting better at security, But they have gone
overboard in a few areas (this one of them) and still have dropped the ball
elsewhere. Making every account an Administrator account by default (this is
a uniquely Windows thing) is insane.

Today I've installed Avast 4.7 and it seems works fine on Vista beta2:
"avast! Antivirus and Windows Vista
Get antivirus protection for your Windows Vista beta 2 now. We're pleased to
announce that avast! antivirus now fully supports Windows Vista."

Michael Bryett

Yes I've got the exact same problem

When I upgraded my XP SP2 machine to this latest Vista Build I had a version
7.0.8 (I think) CA EZ-AV installed - it really didnt work but I maaged to
download the latest update to 7.1.something and all was well for about
30secs then I had major problems with crashing and the realtime agent not
working. I DID NOT get these prompts at this time though and admitidly the
crashes were prob to do with other issues but in the end I uninstalled CA
EX-AV and re-installed it. All was fine until 2 reboots when the realtime
agent refused to load again.

AGAIN I uninstalled and re-installed and since then experience the same
problem the UAC prompts twice (once for each of the taskbar icons) at boot
time asking if its ok to run these apps.

Alas the AV is finally working pretty stable for the moment but the prompts
are a little bit of a nuisance. No solution as yet but will be watching
this thread or providing the solution if/when I find it.

I thought you might be able to approve these icons in windows defender or
somewhere but no!!!

Regards

Mike

1) Yes, thats the software
2) No, I do not have to enter a password, just confirm it is ok to run

Michael Bryett

er....... well no!!! obviously not - wasnt informed or couldnt find this
link when i looked before. I just had problems which prompted me to post
here. I'd be interested to know how this link came about even if i am
embarrassed about how obvious it has been and that i've missed it being in
various places (still cant find it - searching for vista on the ca site
comes up with junk) so the/your solution is quality but this is the first i
knew about it and YES this has solved the problem

blush!!! hehe

Cheers

Mike

ps this is exactly what newsgroups are for ist it??? to educate the rest if
us!!!!!

I had problems with CA for Vista-so I switched to Avast! and after the first
reboot and update the UAC did not activate each boot for Avast!
which to me is good-and it is not a resourse hog

Thanks for the tip, I will try it !

daddy3 said:
I had problems with CA for Vista-so I switched to Avast! and after the first
reboot and update the UAC did not activate each boot for Avast!
which to me is good-and it is not a resourse hog

Anyone know of a way to disable these prompts without turning off UAC
altogether?
Not necessarily for this anti-virus software but for any app that requires
admin privileges.

Scott

2) No, I do not have to enter a password, just confirm it is ok to run

Aah. Then you're running on an account with full Administrative privlidges.

I'm not, hence the request for the Administrator password (twice) when I log
on.

Scott

Michael Bryett said:
Yes I've got the exact same problem

When I upgraded my XP SP2 machine to this latest Vista Build I had a
version 7.0.8 (I think) CA EZ-AV installed - it really didnt work but I
maaged to download the latest update to 7.1.something and all was well for
about 30secs then I had major problems with crashing and the realtime
agent not working......

There's your problem right there. I never even considered upgrading XP to
Vista beta. That's just asking for trouble. I'm dual booting (well
actually quadruple booting) Vista with XP (and Linux and FreeBSD...).

Scott

BillD said:
Today I've installed Avast 4.7 and it seems works fine on Vista beta2:
"avast! Antivirus and Windows Vista
Get antivirus protection for your Windows Vista beta 2 now. We're pleased
announce that avast! antivirus now fully supports Windows Vista."

I'm sure it will present the same problem as EZ Trust though. Windows wants
you to enter the Administrator password (a la "sudo" in Mac OS
X/Linux/Unix..) which I normally like. But a program that's set to start up
for any user (more or less as a service - if not it should be) shouldn't be
asking a user for an administrator password (twice) every time they log on.

Scott

daddy3 said:
I had problems with CA for Vista-so I switched to Avast! and after the
first
reboot and update the UAC did not activate each boot for Avast!
seems
which to me is good-and it is not a resourse hog

Are you typicaly working in Vista in a regular (non administrator account).
If so, I may look at switching. If not, I'll stick with what I've got.

Michael Bryett

No the upgrade wasnt the problem!! after the upgrade, ok the realtime agent
wasnt working but I was NOT being asked for permission to load the tray
icons which is what you would expect for programs that run at startup just
like the many others currently loading at startup and loading a tray icon.
In order to get the Anti Virus realtime protection loading correctly I had
to upgrade my version of the software, so I uninstalled it and re-installed
the latest version which fixed that problem but now whenever the tray icons
want to load I have to give permission once for each icon. The icons dont
have anything to do with the realtime agent and installing the software from
scratch is the same as installing it on a new vista build. Besides being a
beta we're supposed to test these things including how they upgrade