Extreme Super (Full) Moon - 19th March

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Coming up later this month (March 19 to be exact) the moon will make its closest approach to Earth (called lunar perigee) in 18 years. A new or full moon at 90% or greater of its closest perigee to Earth has been named a "SuperMoon" by astrologer Richard Nolle. This term has been recently picked up by astronomers. An extreme "SuperMoon" is when the moon is full or new as well as at its 100% greater mean perigee (closest) distance to earth. By this definition, last month's full moon, this month's and next month's will all be extreme "SuperMoons".

Please visit Richard's website by clicking here

I have read several "new age" forecasts that go something like this: "Extreme SuperMoon this month (March 2011) will bring strong earthquakes and storms and/or unusual climate patterns." Google the term 'extreme SuperMoon March 2011' and see for yourself what comes up. The validity of these types of forecasts can be debated ad nauseum.

There were SuperMoons in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. These years had their share of extreme weather and other natural events. Is the Super Moon and these natural occurences a coincidence? Some would say yes; some would say no. I'm not here to pick sides and say I'm a believer or non-believer in subjects like this, but as a scientist I know enough to ask questions and try to find answers.

We obviously know that there are scientific laws that say the moon affects the Earth (i.e. tides). There are also less proven theories that propose that the moon affects the Earth in other ways (i.e. abnormal behavior during a full moon). Can the Super (full) Moon contribute to extreme weather and other natural phenomenon?

AccuWeather Facebook fanpage member Daniel Vogler adds, "The last extreme super moon occurred was on January 10th, 2005, right around the time of the 9.0 Indonesia earthquake. That extreme super moon was a new moon. So be forewarned. Something BIG could happen on or around this date. (+/- 3 Days is my guess)"

So what can we expect this time? Earthquakes? Volcanic eruptions? I guess we can only wait and see.
Source

Reaction score
Blimey, I heard some nattering about this on the radio last week, thought it was a load of bullshine and turned it off.

Is that a legitimate prediction? Suppose gravity could mess with the pressure on the tectonic plates or something? Scientists say it is rubbish, but it does seem a tad coincidental.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dunno, i'm sceptical about this kinda thing, but the moon does have an effect on tides, fact. So it could effect other things too...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just looked out the window, the moon is massive tonight! Really bright too :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I always thought a supermoon was a coachload of football fans travelling from Leeds to London and exposing certain parts of their anatomy through the coach windows on the M1 :)

Lemme go outside and have a look at that moon....

Yes, it does look bigger and it seems exceedingly bright.

Attachments

• IMG_4953.jpg
    IMG_4953.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_4950.jpg
    IMG_4950.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 536

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Nice pictures Flopps - I just tried to take some too, it's a tad hazy here, but here's my effort. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0948-1.JPG
    IMG_0948-1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 447
Reaction score
Here we go again.Do people not know the difference between "Astrology" and "astronomy" The first is pseudo science,pretending to be something it`s not.While astronomy is pure science.I know which one I would trust. Yes the moon does effect things like the tides. It`s been said that it works on the human body like the tides. But the ocean tides are an open system while the body is a closed system,so no way can it be effected by the lunar gravity.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here we go again.Do people not know the difference between "Astrology" and "astronomy"

I do :)

Astronomy is looking through a telescope and making out you're clever but at least it's for real.

Astrology is a complete load of twaddle that brings in a regular pay cheque for a few loonies who write columns for newspapers.

Twaddle, but harmless fun. Probably.

Me, I'm Aries.

Historian said:
The first is pseudo science,pretending to be something it`s not.While astronomy is pure science.I know which one I would trust. Yes the moon does effect things like the tides. It`s been said that it works on the human body like the tides. But the ocean tides are an open system while the body is a closed system,so no way can it be effected by the lunar gravity.
How close are your nearest woods? Closest forest? Do not venture there tonight, werewolves on the prowl :drool:

Reaction score
I do :)

Astronomy is looking through a telescope and making out you're clever but at least it's for real.

Astrology is a complete load of twaddle that brings in a regular pay cheque for a few loonies who write columns for newspapers.

Twaddle, but harmless fun. Probably.

Me, I'm Aries.

How close are your nearest woods? Closest forest? Do not venture there tonight, werewolves on the prowl :drool:

Thankgoodness it it a load of twaddle.
The Nazi leaders all looked to astrology to guide them,and look what happened to that lot.
historian

Reaction score
Me, I'm Aries.
While the moon is in Uranus you will have much luck & four men riding on a horse will bring you luck. Your lucky numbers & letters this week are 999 and PC. Your lucky day will be Monday when money will make you rich, a cat, dog & budgie will all appear this week for you.

A black cat crossing your path will make you rich.

I accept cheques/postal orders or paypal.

Luck is with you.:thumb:

Reaction score
While the moon is in Uranus you will have much luck & four men riding on a horse will bring you luck. Your lucky numbers & letters this week are 999 and PC. Your lucky day will be Monday when money will make you rich, a cat, dog & budgie will all appear this week for you.

That,feckit,sums astrology up-----bunkum.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

I've warned you before about drinking that meths...

Ask a Question