External hard drives.....

Reaction score
Hello!

I know very little about computers so I've just joined the forum to get some advice from some "experts" ;)

I'm interested in purchasing an external hard drive but I'm not sure what/where the best/bargains are.

I've seen one on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16178&item=5192831186&rd=1

Is this one any good? :confused:

Also (again, remember I'm a novice!) what does "combined Firewire (IEEE1394)" mean??

Thanks in advance!

The Dr!

P.S. Hope this is in the right forum....

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup! This is the right forum! Welcome :D

That does actually look like a good deal for an external drive. The combined part just means it can use a USB port or a Firewire port (more common for Digital Video connections).

How much are you intending to store on the external drive, as they range from 40GB up to 300GB.

Reaction score
It seems like a reasonable price, but all they're selling is a basic laptop pc 40Gb hard disk in a small aluminium case. You could by a similar drive and the case seperately from many suppliers. The case usually comes with all the cables you need and instructions. It doesn't need an 'expert' to fit it together - if you can change a fuse in a plug, you should be able to do it quite easily.

If you buy a case that's just for USB (i.e it doesn't include a Firewire socket) then it will be even cheaper.

Of course, all this assumes you don't mind getting the parts and using a screwdriver. I reckon they're charging around £15-20 extra for having done that for you. Still, I don't think they are ripping you off:thumb:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yup! This is the right forum! Welcome :D

That does actually look like a good deal for an external drive. The combined part just means it can use a USB port or a Firewire port (more common for Digital Video connections).

How much are you intending to store on the external drive, as they range from 40GB up to 300GB.

Cheers for the info Ian and 1nteger! :thumb:

I think I might just get a 40Gb to be honest. Just need a bit of extra space you know.

But if you guys think that it's pretty good then I'll take your word for it! :)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Just take note m8 - the external hard disk that you linked in your first post is a small form factor one based on a 2.5'' hdd from a laptop pc, and I think 40Gb is the max u can get at the moment. For an external hdd bigger than 40GB I think youhave to move up to a 3.5'' hdd and they often need a seperate power cable. (The small ones are usually powered via the USB cable):thumb:

Reaction score
Dr Gonza,

Just out of curiosity are you buying an external hard disk because your worried about fitting an internal drive?

J

Reaction score
Techy said:
Dr Gonza,

Just out of curiosity are you buying an external hard disk because your worried about fitting an internal drive?

J

It's Gonzo dude! :p You know from Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas?!

I wasn't aware you could fit an internal HD into a laptop......

Reaction score
you didn't mention it was a laptop.

And yes you can fit an hard disk into a latop. but prob best sticking to external. Laptops are a nightmare, when taken apart you always end up with more screws than you started with. ;)

Reaction score
Techy said:
you didn't mention it was a laptop.

And yes you can fit an hard disk into a latop. but prob best sticking to external. Laptops are a nightmare, when taken apart you always end up with more screws than you started with. ;)

Sorry mate I thought I had mentioned it :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not to worry :) An external drive is the best thing for a laptop, although I'd consider going for something a bit higher than 40GB if possible.

It is possible to upgrade an internal hard drive, but it can be difficult to transfer all of the data, and the maximum size will only be around 100GB.

Ask a Question