exporting a windows address book to Outlook Personal address book

Susan

Hi there,

After I did an export from windows address book (.wab) to Outlook personal
address book, I found that all entries in the outlook personal address books
shows as "Fax" type. Does it mean it imported from .wab file as "Zetafax
address" type? How can I fix that? Can I send email those addresses? These
entries have email addresses in windows address book. But after imported to
outlook personal address book, when I double click on an item to view the
properties, it doesn't show the email address and it asks for a fax number
when clicking OK. How do I fix it?

Thanks a lot,

Susan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

First, you cannot export from the WAB to a PAB, so you did something else. I
highly doubt you are using a PAB since Outlook hasn't used PAB's for several
years. Please explain more accurately what you did and how. Be sure to
include how these fax numbers were stored in OE and what your versions are.

Susan

Thanks for your reply.

In WAB, I go to File->Export->Other address book... and pick Microsoft
Exchange Personal Address Book from the list and click "Export". I first got
an "
The Windows Address Book is currently unable to perform this export. Make
sure you have a Personal Address Book set up in Outlook and that it is set
as your current personal address book." error as described below but then I
followed the following article to successfully export a .wab file to outlook
pab:

And it did give me an export successful message after it is done. The
sympton after I exported was described in my previous post.

I have Outlook 2000 (corporate or workgroup)

OL2000: (CW) You Cannot Export an Address Book from Outlook Express

Q273892

----

a.. Microsoft Outlook 2000

----
NOTE: These procedures only apply if you have installed Outlook with the
Corporate or Workgroup option. This option allows you to use Messaging
Application Programming Interface (MAPI) services. To determine your
installation type, on the Help menu, click About Microsoft Outlook. In About
Microsoft Outlook, you should see "Corporate or Workgroup" if you have the
Corporate or Workgroup installation.

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to export the Microsoft Windows Address Book from Outlook
Express to a Microsoft Exchange Personal Address Book, you receive the
following error message

The Windows Address Book is currently unable to perform this export. Make
sure you have a Personal Address Book set up in Outlook and that it is set
as your current personal address book.
and then you receive the following error message:
Address Book process has completed

CAUSE
This behavior occurs because either you do not have a Personal Address Book
service installed in your profile or the Personal Address Book is not set as
the default personal address handler.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, set up the Personal Address Book service in the
default profile, and then change the default handler to the Personal Address
Book. To do this:

1.. Click Services on the Tools menu.

2.. On the Services tab, click Add.

3.. In the Add Service to Profile box, click the your Personal Address
Book, and then click OK.

4.. Click the Personal Address Book tab.

5.. In the Name box, type the name for your Personal Address Book.

6.. In the Path box, type the file path in which you want to save your
Personal Address Book.

7.. Click either First Last or Last, First in the Show names by box.

8.. When you receive the following message
The service you just added will not start until you choose Exit and Log
Off on the File menu, and then restart Microsoft Outlook.
Click OK.

9.. Click OK to close the Services dialog box.

10.. Click Exit and Log Off on the File menu.

To set your Personal Address Book as the default personal address handler:
1.. Click Services on the Tools menu.

2.. Click the Addressing tab.

3.. In the Keep personal addresses in box, click Personal Address Book.

4.. Click OK.

MORE INFORMATION
The Windows Address Book can only export to the Personal Address Book in
Outlook. If you select any other address handler to store your personal
addresses, the Windows Address Book does not recognize that you have the
Personal Address Book Service installed.

Additional query words: OL2K WAB PAB

Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbOutlookSearch kbOutlook2000Search kbZNotKeyword3

Thanks,

Susan

----
Send feedback to MSDN.Look here for MSDN Online resources.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Susan said:
Hi there,

After I did an export from windows address book (.wab) to Outlook personal
address book, I found that all entries in the outlook personal address books
shows as "Fax" type. Does it mean it imported from .wab file as "Zetafax
address" type? How can I fix that? Can I send email those addresses? These
entries have email addresses in windows address book. But after imported to
outlook personal address book, when I double click on an item to view the
properties, it doesn't show the email address and it asks for a fax number
when clicking OK. How do I fix it?

Thanks a lot,

Susan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As I said, you are not likely using a PAB because Outlook does not use a
PAB. You are far more likely using the Outlook Address Book.
You should be importing from Outlook, not exporting from OE. OE has no
option to export to Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Susan said:
Thanks for your reply.

In WAB, I go to File->Export->Other address book... and pick Microsoft
Exchange Personal Address Book from the list and click "Export". I first got
an "
The Windows Address Book is currently unable to perform this export. Make
sure you have a Personal Address Book set up in Outlook and that it is set
as your current personal address book." error as described below but then I
followed the following article to successfully export a .wab file to outlook
pab:

And it did give me an export successful message after it is done. The
sympton after I exported was described in my previous post.

I have Outlook 2000 (corporate or workgroup)

OL2000: (CW) You Cannot Export an Address Book from Outlook Express

Q273892

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
----

a.. Microsoft Outlook 2000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
----

Susan said:
Hi there,

After I did an export from windows address book (.wab) to Outlook personal
address book, I found that all entries in the outlook personal address books
shows as "Fax" type. Does it mean it imported from .wab file as "Zetafax
address" type? How can I fix that? Can I send email those addresses? These
entries have email addresses in windows address book. But after
imported
outlook personal address book, when I double click on an item to view the
properties, it doesn't show the email address and it asks for a fax number
when clicking OK. How do I fix it?

Thanks a lot,

Susan

Susan

I am not an outlook guru so I may not use the right terminology but the
steps I described are word by word. It says "Personal address book" and has
a .pab extension so that's what I wrote. I'm not sure how you would call it.
In outlook Tools->Services, one of the services you can add to your profile
is "Personal Address Book".

"Susan" <xxx> wrote in message
Hi there,

After I did an export from windows address book (.wab) to Outlook personal
address book, I found that all entries in the outlook personal address
books
shows as "Fax" type. Does it mean it imported from .wab file as "Zetafax
address" type? How can I fix that? Can I send email those addresses? These
entries have email addresses in windows address book. But after imported
outlook personal address book, when I double click on an item to
view
the
properties, it doesn't show the email address and it asks for a fax number
when clicking OK. How do I fix it?

Thanks a lot,

Susan

Brian Tillman

Susan said:
I am not an outlook guru so I may not use the right terminology but
the steps I described are word by word. It says "Personal address
book" and has a .pab extension so that's what I wrote. I'm not sure
how you would call it. In outlook Tools->Services, one of the
services you can add to your profile is "Personal Address Book".

Yes, OL 2000 lets you add the Personal Address Book service, but it doesn't
use it. All contact information is kept in the Contacts folder, not the
Personal Address Book (with a .PAB file type).

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I know what the steps say. What I said is you are using the wrong steps
because Outlook no longer uses a PAB.
Please try what I suggested.
--
Russ Valentine