Explanation for old problem with IE?

History Fan

I own a desktop PC running XP Home SP2. I connect via DSL modem. IE 6
SP2 is my web browser.

I am online quite a bit, and browse thru hundreds if not thousands of
web pages every week. I have noticed with this computer, and my previous
one, that occasionally IE will stop loading web sites. The computer doesn't
freeze up, IE just can't load any web sites. This happens maybe once a
week. Usually the only way to get IE to work again is to close it out and
then reopen it. I have the TIF limit set at 5MB, but I've tried various
other limits, all the way up to 2400MB, none of which prevents this glitch.

For security, I use Windows Firewall, Automatic Updates, Avast AV,
Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and CWShredder. IE privacy setting is at
Medium-High. I only have 3 startup programs running in MSCONFIG, one
related to my anti-virus, two others for my flatbed scanner.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this glitch, or is this a
normal occurrence that other IE users also experience?

Don Varnau

Hi,
I would set the TIF to about 50-60 MB and clear it anytime IE has this
problem. Or, prevent the problem by clearing the TIF every 2 or 3 days.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"History Fan" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Sounds to me like your cache is corrupt, especially considering the
adjustments you have made in size. Create a new one as per the instructions
at the URL below:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_8.htm#deltree

Sandi's Site has changed - for instructions on how to
find old URLs, go here:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/archive/2005/05/14/46971.aspx

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Visit the Internet Explorer Community
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/default.mspx