.exe files won't open

Z

zybbok

Hello folks,
I've got a problem with all of my .exe files.
I can't get any of them to open.
That's the desktop files, the 'All Programs' files and
any files on any of my hard drives with an .exe extension.
The computer boots up as normal and everything else is
accessible; clipart, music etc.
I've obviously got corruption or missing system files
somewhere, other than that I'm stuck.
I tried an upgrade with the XP Home disk but again I
couldn't start the installation.
All help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance

Reaction score
I just registered to say that, 5 years later, the .exe file association fix that Venkatesh gave still works. Many thanks, I highly recommend it!
My Avira Antivirus Free let through the "XP Antivirus 2010" malware, which put 3 viruses in my sytem that knocked out my .exe files.
The fix is in a zipped file, but I couldn't open my unzip software, Zipeg, so I installed the fix on another PC, transferred it on a memory stick, and it got everything working again.

Reaction score
I was in the same situation as fernman - XP Antivirus 2010 malware on my home PC. I first used the Windows System Restore tool which got rid of the malware but then none of my exe's worked. Then I found the string above and Venkatesh's fix. I transferred it from my laptop to my home PC with the exe problem just as Fernman did.
My home PC is now cured! Thanks Fernman and Venkatesh!

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks so much. That was a lot easier than the other things people said to do. Everything's working now.

Reaction score
Thank you to ChristineW. I did the Run Command method and it fixed it! My Mom will be so happy. She calls me her "Computer Guru". You mad me look so good, couldn't do it without all of you.

Reaction score
Gang--I'm still having an issue in that I can't open any exe files period. even when I download the zips, they're still in that unreadable format. I managed to get my short cuts to reappear and they work by correcting the LNK extension in the file type in the folder options, but I can't get the EXE extension to stick. I've also tried to do a system restore, but it just takes me to a blank page--any suggestions?

---Jim

Ask a Question