exe file that *reliably* swaps Caps-Lock & Ctrl

Fred Ma

The web is teeming with *.reg files and instructions for hacking the
registry to do this. Some have GUI front ends to make it easy. My
experience is, however, that they all seem to fail when using
ctrl-drag or shift-ctrl-drag on some applications, including the
latter in creating a link to a file in windows explorer. This seems
to be true for Win2K and WinXP.

Until recently, there was only one program that did this succesfully,
and it wasn't 100% successful. It worked properly in the ctrl-drag
and shift-ctrl-drag operations when you use CapsLock key in place of
Ctrl key. However, the Ctrl key didn't work as a CapsLock key; it
still worked as a control key, so there were basically 2 control keys
on the left side of the keyboard. This is fine! I found this way
more livable with than being unable to use [shift-]ctrl-drag.

This program is no shows up in Google. Does anyone know where it can
be found? I don't recall the exact name of the executable, but it
certainly was an *.exe file, not a *.reg file. I think the
executable had the words "swap", "remap", and/or "caps" in it. One
might also need to supply the "/install" and "/uninstall" options. If
anyone can point out where it can be gotten on the web, please, let me
know! If you know the author, perhaps I can ask for permission to
host it. That will ensure its availability for others.

Thanks......

Fred

Posted to: alt.os.windows2000
:
and separately to: microsoft.public.win2000.registry
microsoft.public.win2000.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Fred Ma said:
[...]

Here are a few that work:

remapkey.exe (Win2000 Resource Kit)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/ctrl2cap.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Fred Ma

Pegasus said:
Fred Ma said:
The web is teeming with *.reg files and instructions for hacking the
registry to do [swap functionality of ctrl & capslock keys]....they
all seem to fail when using ctrl-drag or shift-ctrl-drag on some
applications, including the latter in creating a link to a file in
windows explorer....there was only one program that...worked
properly in the ctrl-drag and shift-ctrl-drag operations

Here are a few that work:
remapkey.exe (Win2000 Resource Kit)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/ctrl2cap.shtml
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

Thanks, Pegasus. Ctrl2cap was the one. I've emailed Mark to see if
he would mind me hosting it.