Excel Macro to deposit data.

Reaction score
I've created an VB project that takes asynchronous data from an RS232 and deposits it into a terminal-like interface. The data packets are Ascii format, as follows :

1 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

I've never used VB as VBA, and therefore don't have any bit of knowledge in this field. My task is to move those 5 packets of data in A1 B1 C1 D1 E1, then skip to next row and wait data from the RS232. 15 secs later, when another packet arives I require it to put data on A2 B2 ... etc, you all get the point.

I've attached the VB project with explanations in romanian, the code isn't that hard to grasp. Do I have any posibility of doing the VBA inside the VB proj directly, or do I have to create an excel macro that will gestion my data? Can't I do it simultaneously?

Last edited:
Reaction score
No. I doubt that you can use VBA i VB. But still you have at least 2 options:
1. Write directly to excel file - can be tricky, depends on version of VB and sometimes version of Office.
2. Write to CSV file, which you can open in excel - this is trivial and independent of VB and Office version solution.

Make up your choice ;)

Reaction score
No. I doubt that you can use VBA i VB. But still you have at least 2 options:
1. Write directly to excel file - can be tricky, depends on version of VB and sometimes version of Office.
2. Write to CSV file, which you can open in excel - this is trivial and independent of VB and Office version solution.

Make up your choice ;)

I'd rather write directly to excel file, creating or adding to an alreay created report(that I can handle with a case instance), saved as "Report num" &&uniquecode && step && .xls . I'm using VB10 express, office 2007.

Reaction score
Alright then,
So start digging through that links which I gave you in previous post and if you hit some "ungoogleable" wall let us know.
Wish you good luck!

Ask a Question