Excel Excel - Automatic Cell Colour Change 'traffic lights'

Reaction score
hi there,
can someone tell me how to automatically change the backgroun colour of a cell based on the cell content. i am creating a matrix to track progress of database clean-up work and want to see the cells i enter 'yes' in with a green background and the cells i enter 'no' in with an amber background to give us a very quick visual overview. much appreciated. trish

Reaction score
Trish said:
hi there,
can someone tell me how to automatically change the backgroun colour of a cell based on the cell content. i am creating a matrix to track progress of database clean-up work and want to see the cells i enter 'yes' in with a green background and the cells i enter 'no' in with an amber background to give us a very quick visual overview. much appreciated. trish

I have never done this, sounds like a good idea. The setup is in the menu Format > Conditional Formatting and is fairly self-explanatoyr when you see it.

Reaction score
hello again, thanks very much (again!) i'll give it a go in the morning. i haven't had chance to apply the last update you gave me on the countif, i will look at that tomorrow aswell.

have a good evening
trish

Ask a Question